The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just happened to be doing my daily walk through eBay and I saw a 320W10GN00 crystal being sold auction style. I have a couple so I am always curious to see what people will pay to get their hands on one of these so I put it on my watch list. Well the auction just ended and the crystal went for $76 dollars! That's 50 quid for my English friends over there. Is this going to be the new norm for these crystals as the 6105 8XXX divers series seem to be the new must have item in Seiko collecting? Just interested in opinions of other on this subject.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
i seen that too...crazy money...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I guess the price can only go so high if there are quality after
market replacements available. Personally, if there is a good quality AM available and the price is significantly better then I'll go for the AM. I don't know if Spencer does this one but if he does I bet it's about $40-$50 max.

You're not hiding any 6309 bezel inserts are you Michael????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up with one reproduction 320W10GN00 when I bought a batch of crystals. I do not know who actually makes this one. it just says watch parts on the envelope. The crystal is not even close to the right shape when compared to the Seiko ones I have. The error is in the height of the dome. it is off by a good 3mm in height.

I can't honestly say no on the 6309 bezel because I am always finding stuff I forgot I had but I will double check but I do not remember having any 6309 inserts. I know I have spare original inserts for the 7002 SKX style but I'm pretty sure unless it is an insert for a 6309 Seiko 5 and not a diver. I know I have some of those.

Michael

·
Registered
564 Posts
hmm 75 dollars...thats a cheaper one. i thought generally they have been around the $100 mark for last couple of years

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know. I got lucky and got the ones in my stash from estate sales where all of the crystals were sold as a batch with no list of what was actually in their. I have had excellent luck over the years buying these grab bags. I have ended up with some nice rare gems like 5 of the 300V16GN style crystals for the older 5606 Lordmatics No reproductions because they are heavy steel rings bonded to the glass for the one piece case design. I found a super rare 300WR4LN01 a 300V04GNG0 a couple 310W32GC0F faceted crystals and lots of other long discontinued numbers. I like being able to pick up most of the older 60'or 70's Seiko and know when I'm ready to restore it I will have the crystal I need on hand to finish the job.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'd say £50 is at the high end but certainly not unbelieveable. Eveything 6105 related just keeps going up and up. I've bought a couple of NOS 320W10GN in the past 18months in the £30 to £40 range, so only a little more than a good repro. I hoped to get one of the early taller crystals, but both the ones I got turned out to be the later lower versions.

Just happened to be doing my daily walk through eBay and I saw a 320W10GN00 crystal being sold auction style. I have a couple so I am always curious to see what people will pay to get their hands on one of these so I put it on my watch list. Well the auction just ended and the crystal went for $76 dollars! That's 50 quid for my English friends over there. Is this going to be the new norm for these crystals as the 6105 8XXX divers series seem to be the new must have item in Seiko collecting? Just interested in opinions of other on this subject.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well Killnapz...you have done very well..i try and find deals like that...but nothing ever that good...i agree those crystals seem to be going for much more than i anticipated..if no good aftermarket ones were on the market ..maybe high prices like..must be someone really wanted it

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
There are four different variations of the 6105 crystal, the most sought after is the earlier model that was flat topped with inner dome. Later models had a slight dome on the top as well as the inner dome. I would easily expect one of the early flat ones to go for that kind of money as it was those that most of the pre 1971 models used. The later ones not so much..

There is a wealth of information here on them such as this thread, most of the research was done on this by the sadly departed expert Jonathan, aka Swedefreak.... http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/88250-6105-crystal.html

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
thank you Technoman...does anyone have pics showing the type 1 next to the type3?..

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok here is a picture comparison of what I have on hand. Thanks to Johnathan research here is a first design Seiko factory 320W10GN00 flat top

Second up is a Seiko 320W10GN00 factory double dome. I can measure the overall height very good but the top of the dome is very tall and the crystal is extremely thick. I do not know which version this is.

This third one is a reproduction 320W10GN00. Overall height is shorter than either Seiko crystals. The dome is there but not as high overall as the Seiko domed crystal but as you can see the arch is more pronounced from center to edge than the original dome in the second picture. The overall thickness of the crystal is thinner than either of the first two Seiko crystals also.

Michael

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Well thank you again Killsnapz...looks like i need to find a original type 1...really appreciate it

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm trying to figure out a way to accurately measure the overall height of the three. I can tell you the third one is a lot shorted in overall height than the two Seiko ones.

Michael

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well you helped tremendously..i did not realize the type 1 is flat...great info

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well you helped tremendously..i did not realize the type 1 is flat...great info
Neither did I! If that crystal had not sold for 76 bucks on eBay the three crystals I had would have just stayed in the bin unexamined like they have been for the last couple of years. It is cool that I just found out I have one of the old flat top crystals.

Michael

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Put the crystal onto a metal rule, use a micrometer to measure the combined height of the crystal and rule, then measure the thickness of the rule and subtract.

I'm trying to figure out a way to accurately measure the overall height of the three. I can tell you the third one is a lot shorted in overall height than the two Seiko ones.

Michael

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well i thought i had the early type to find out i had the type 3...i love this place

·
Special Member
5,176 Posts
Ok here is a picture comparison of what I have on hand. Thanks to Johnathan research here is a first design Seiko factory 320W10GN00 flat top

Second up is a Seiko 320W10GN00 factory double dome. I can measure the overall height very good but the top of the dome is very tall and the crystal is extremely thick. I do not know which version this is.

This third one is a reproduction 320W10GN00. Overall height is shorter than either Seiko crystals. The dome is there but not as high overall as the Seiko domed crystal but as you can see the arch is more pronounced from center to edge than the original dome in the second picture. The overall thickness of the crystal is thinner than either of the first two Seiko crystals also.

Michael
Michael,
My 6105 dates from January '71, is type 1 the correct crystal for it?

·
Craftsman
3,876 Posts
Ray,
I'd say the type 1 is correct for your 6105

Jonathan's original post:

I did a lot of research on the 320W10GN00, which has four variants over its run of nearly fifteen years. The second and fourth variants are insignificant as they were not made any any appreciable numbers.

What I now call "Type I": The oldest (correct for pre-1972 models) has a flat top and inside dome. It measures 3.85mm high with frosted sidewall and polished bevel. The crisp edge of this crystal is a chip magnet. In the early '70s I remember seeing fairly new watches coming in for new crystals, within weeks in some instances, due to chips and nicks on the top edge. My assumption is Seiko got tired of these complaints and dropped the height by 0.20mm. This doesn't sound like much but it's enough to get that edge closer to the bezel of a sport watch or the rotating ring of a dive watch. Also, flat-top crystals are terribly reflective. Double domes are far less so which is why this makes sense for a dive watch. Also, the double dome is much more structurally sound than flat/flat or flat/domed.

What I refer to as "Type III": Third is double domed but is only 3.63mm +/- 0.02mm high with frosted edge and polished bevel. This is the most common variant and after 1972 became correct for both OEM and service replacement applications. Thus, if your 1970 watch has the "Type III" crystal, it was replaced as part of a service after 1972 and IS STILL CONSIDERED CORRECT.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts