The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a thread like this often will quickly turn into a joke and silliness but I am asking in all seriousness. I think I have gone a little over bored with the watch collection. part of the problem is Seiko just makes way to many watches that I love. I am not spending the rent money on watches or anything like that. I just sometimes look at everything and start to question myself as to what in the world am I trying to accomplish. Of course every watch I have I have a plan or a vision of what it is going to be and I actually have the parts on hand to do it for many of the watches.
Still there are only so many hours in a day one can devote to a hobby. Even being retired as I am there are still many things every take that need looking to. I live alone so every day chores can eat up a good part of just about every day and that's not including the favors I do for others. Since I am retired I am the go to guy when someone needs help because in their minds "well he is retired so he must be doing nothing I'll call him!" My niece need to picked up from school call Michael he's not doing anything!
In all seriousness I am really curious if there are other out there that know they have way more watches than they could wear and in the bin another huge assortment of watches all waiting their turn on the bench. So am I the only one who is out of control or are there more of you out there. I am really starting to question my judgment here!

Michael

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Let me respond seriously. I totally understand the question.

It's fun to look and bid and buy and collect Seikos. After a while the project list is long and the watch box(es) are filled.

What I do is periodically have a sell-off. This in turn is a whole other kind of fun. I sell watches I like a lot but truth be told just don't wear enough (or at all even though I like them) I view it making them available to another home where they will be better put to use.

Thus my collection tends to hover around 20-25 working watches. A year later I'll still be in that 20-25 range but maybe 50% turnover. And when the project work gets too long I use discipline to stop looking or buying until most of those waiting in the wings for a good fix-up are really finished (sometimes that means parted out or trashed too).

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You are not alone Michael. I occasionally question myself along similar lines. Personally myy intention is to sell many mainstream models to add some balance. But i find the process of selling rather onerous. One usually gets low prices on forums such as this, and the process - and consequences - of selling on ebay, i find are prohibitive. So i tend not to sell. Just buy.

But - and as your point regards rent money makes - its pretty harmless if you can afford to do so. If ones family is suffering and/or wanting , and one is running up debts, then thats another matter. If not , then whats the harm.

Its almost as is one has to justify (to oneself as much as anyone else) spending time and money on stuff that one purely wants to.

Just my 2 penneth.

Barry

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
I know I've got too many when I open a box and find a really nice vintage diver that I forgot I even owned. But I just can't stop buying the darn things.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Barry that is probably a huge reason why I am not turning them over like you mentioned. eBay has become quite the scum hole. Buying is hard enough. Trying to sell and not end up with moron bidders and con artist is even harder and frustrating. Selling on here while more enjoyable we all typically will have a tendency to want to help out other forum members and sell items cheaper.
I have other hobbies some that I am not so active in and I never had a problem just selling of some of my stash. I recently sold of some of my WWII rifle collection and I just let them go without a though.
I think the economy is not helping things much either. Prices are down on many types of collectable items. It does not help that due to this many nice Seiko watches keep turning up on eBay for very good prices.
Another part of it has just been my pure laziness in sitting down and just getting some projects done. Self discipline is a hard thing to practice.

·
Administrator
30,124 Posts
I think in all seriousness I could of wrote each of those replies :)

I am in the process of tidying up and I think it will take a while but being retired does really help and as long as it remains fun that is the main thing (imo).

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's pretty much the eternal question!

My first reaction to your post came from this sentence, when you asked of yourself: "what in the world am I trying to accomplish."

Without knowing that, satisfaction will remain elusive because it is open ended. (I would guess that many of us are in that same boat. I think we often mistakenly call that feeling an "addiction" when it is really just continuously reaching for a goal that we don't have a clear picture of.)

Depending on my mood, I'm either retired or between jobs. At this point I look at a lot of my stuff (including a few too many watches) and ponder how to get rid of it. Getting rid of it well isn't easy, it's hard work! That also adds to a sense of being overwhelmed and dissatisfied in my experience.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I KNOW I have too many watches, but I can't bear to part with any of them. I started off with one watch (inherited, which led to some research, which led to a couple more watches) and one watch box (home made) which held six watches, and said I would not buy any more. Then I discovered , as you say, that Seiko just make so many nice watches............

When I bought my first 10 space watch box I told myself I would stop as I could only wear one at a time. Then I suddenly had 11 watches,then 12, then 13, so bought another 10 watch box because I hate to see watches lying about. But I also hate to see spaces in watch boxes, so I gradually filled that one up............

I now have exactly 100 watches and I'm going to stop soon, honest !:)

I think that (as I am sure is the case with most of us here) if you work for your money , and can afford to buy the (ahem) occasional watch with the money that's left over after all the bills are paid, what's the harm ? They sure are nice to look at, even if you can't wear them all.

P.S. Bedmac, I love your signature line !:grin:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can afford them and that's part of the problem. Owning Seiko's is like eating potato chips. They just keep coming one after another automatically. I have gotten some very strange looks from family members when they have seen how many I have. Many people believe anything more than one watch just does not make sense since you can only wear one at a time and you will never make them understand it is collecting. People understand collecting stamps, coins even cars but you say watches to a lot of people and they look at you like your weird. This forum is really the only place I can share my love of watches with others.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I like wearing my watches, so for me too many is when the cost of keeping them serviced/running correctly is too much.

To my understanding, mechanical watches should be serviced every 5-8 years.
So, @25 watches and a service cost of about $150 you're looking at around $500/year.

Half that for quartz. Increase it for OEM service (an a386 I bought came with service papers showing a full movement service from Zenith at 880 Euro), like sending your Spring Drive back to Seiko.

You could just forego service, or buy serviced watches and flip them when their service is due, but if you're like me and plan on keeping the watches you buy, just leaving them unserviced and wearing internally is a false economy.

Realizing this definitely put a brake on the growth of my collection - I'm now @24 and trying to stick to a 1-in-1-out policy.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
This is probably to many:

When it got this bad, I went through a reduction process, selling off about 1/3 of them, and focusing future purchases on things I "had to have". I'll also observe that as I added back to the collection, I found myself buying fewer nicer watches with the funds freed up from the sell off.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well after being very sick...and not able to see as well as i once did...i have came to the conclusion..even though i love all of mine...time to reduce is needed...God forbid i would die..i would not want my family to have the burden to sell off my collection...i will live vicariously thru you all...i will just keep 6 most important to me watches.....which seems like i am cutting all my fingers off...but i think it is for the best...

·
Krusty Olde Pharte
4,744 Posts
I'm soon going to have a "Too Many Watches" sale. I currently have 100+/- watches. 80+% of them are never worn, and another 10% very seldom. It's time to send them on to someone who will wear them.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I always tell myself my next watch will be my last and that helps me get over any guilt I may have had and its true it is the last till the next and so on. its circular logic

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I have never actually counted how many watches I have but if I had to guess I have about 75 that are either in excellent condition to some that have small defects here and there but look good enough to wear without any defects that could be easily noticed. They vary in value from around $200 dollars to about $50. I only own three watches that I bought new. My Marathon JSAR US government contract diver mechanical auto winder that retails for $960 is the most money I have ever spent on any watch. It uses the same Swiss movement found in many Rolex watches. The next was a Seiko 7T62 titanium chronograph with the grey and gold ceramic coated case and bracelet. Then this summer a Seiko dealer in the Philippines had a good sale on a SKX011J which is a Japanese market 7S26 diver with an orange face and a black and gold bezel insert and the English/Arabic day wheel. The North American version uses a silver and black bezel insert and the English/Spanish day wheel. The gold bezel insert really set it apart in conjunction with the orange dial face so I had to buy it.
Everything else I own I bought used and most of them needing some sort of work.
Still there is more. I have two whole bins stuffed with complete watches that all have some sort of defect. They total about another 50 watches. Now not all of these watches will make it back to life I'm sure. Other were purchased solely for the good movement in them with plans to install it in a watch with a much better case and band.
If I had a real weakness it is not a watch that the majority of this forum care much about. I can't stop buying 7T32 powered watches. I have bought them in every conceivable condition. Some near mint models others for the purpose to break down into parts for an inventory to repair others. I have even bought about 10 7T32 sample cases to build models that I have not seen for sale anywhere.
My other weakness is the early divers and this can drain you funds quickly. I have a 6217-8001 6105-8000 6105-8110 and I just purchased 2 6105-6119 models to round out the collection. I do not know if I will ever spend the cash to add a 6159-7001 but I would love to have one.
The rest of the collection consist of all sorts of Seiko's made from the 1960's all the way up to the mid 1990's
I have also manage to also track down enough NOS Seiko crystals to fill a whole bin with just Seiko crystals. Many hard to find numbers as well as another bin of mechanical Seiko parts.
I think I know I need to do to fell better about the whole thing and that is to sit down at the bench and start really getting some of these projects done. Progress I think would give me a feeling of purpose and a reason to have all of the stuff I have collected. Then sell of these watches to those collectors who do not work on watches but just enjoy collecting them and get them back in circulation again where they can be worn and enjoyed. If my wife were still alive she would be kicking my behind to get it done and it would work. I have been spending do much time watching the idiot box when I should be at the bench. Something I shall have to remedy on my own.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Go for it Michael! I agree that getting back to the bench will be much more rewarding and gratifying than another day in front of the boobtube.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I said time to stop buying these

I saw that I have a lot of the same but different years models.
But this past month :97:, so now I am in the ditch again with
5 more to do. I just got one last week Tuesday, one more Thursday
then this one came in today with the Bracelet on it from a
Ex Navy SEAL so where do I go now from here.:57::91:
Well good question, get some more :72:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It's the pressure of unfinished work on your mind Michael. My suggestion is to write a manageable list of the watch related tasks you want to achieve. Don't add any new tasks unless they have at least as high a priority as those on the list. As you finish each task tick it off and have a beer to celebrate. You'll get plenty of satisfaction and all the unfinished tasks won't weigh on your mind when you can see them written down.

This worked for me when we had a mass of renovation jobs to do around the house and a new baby that meant I had no time to do them.

Good luck and I endorse the idea of getting some of those watches out to us other collectors that don't have the time or skills to do the jobs ourselves :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's the pressure of unfinished work on your mind Michael. My suggestion is to write a manageable list of the watch related tasks you want to achieve. Don't add any new tasks unless they have at least as high a priority as those on the list. As you finish each task tick it off and have a beer to celebrate. You'll get plenty of satisfaction and all the unfinished tasks won't weigh on your mind when you can see them written down.

This worked for me when we had a mass of renovation jobs to do around the house and a new baby that meant I had no time to do them.

Good luck and I endorse the idea of getting some of those watches out to us other collectors that don't have the time or skills to do the jobs ourselves :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You know what is funny is that is the exact method I use to manage my daily life chores and to do list. I keep a pad and pen on the table next to me and as I remember things that I need to do write them down. Then like you said when you get them done you cross them off and it does give you a sense of moving forward and that you are getting things done.
I should do the same with the projects. Write down all the ones I have started and not finished and make notes of any problems. Then I can sit back and survey the mess I have made of things much easier on the paper instead of looking at a box of unfinished projects. Some are not even that big. I have a salesmen's sample 7N43 I built and it is 99% done. The only thing that needs doing is to cut the new stem to the proper length and thread the crown back on and it's done. Other need much more.

That's why I like good forums like this one. The supportI get from all of the members here is great. Thank you to everyone who has offered up their support and good ideas. Step one is to take everything out of the unfinished project box and make a list. Then get started on the ones that I can finish the quickest. That and I really need to stay off eBay for at least a couple of weeks!

Michael

1 - 20 of 22 Posts