The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My method is to place the watch, crystal down in a hollow die and push out from the back but............I find there is hardly room for the crystal to be pushed out especially some of the new domed sapphire ones so...............

Today I had a couple of SKX crystals to remove (both domed sapphire crystals) so i decided to make a "special" for the job.

Basically I had some 50mm Acetal, drilled and bored a locating hole in the rear, decided to use my "cheap" crystal press rather than my Seiko one as it is smaller and lighter and in some cases easier to use, cheap but it has been a good press over the years and i still use it a lot (I digress).

Then I turned a deep (10mm deep) recess in the front of the die which allows the crystal to drop out of the case without any danger of fouling on the bottom of the recess and with the recess being a nice fit on the case bezel diameter and locating face it keeps the case true to the pusher die.

Worked a treat :)

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Go on then John, I'm a sucker for your press dies - put me down for one!
Me Too John. Put me down for one only I need it to work with my Seiko Press as I don't have a Cheapy.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Every crystal I have removed has been to outright replace it and not for service purposes. I just made a series of wooden dowels of a couple different size and a small light tack hammer to take the crystals out of the case. I also put low tack blue painters tape over the front of the crystals and case so they don't fall out and hit the ground and shatter or especially on thin crystals that are already badly cracked to keep the glass debris to a minimum. I really do need to invest in some good die holders. I would be on the list of customers if you decide to crank out a small run.

Michael

·
Registered
213 Posts
Here's my solution....from a £1.08 plumbing coupling. I was having trouble not having a deep enough space on the die for the crystal to push into, so I took a 7s26-0020 case to a DIY superstore and this solution presented itself.

I pried off one of the coupling ends from the tube with a screwdriver (not while in the store) and was pleasantly surprised that the end with the smaller circumference sits perfectly on the case bezel.

The 'cupped' end sits nicely over a concave die (a 42mm one would probably be perfect, but my 40mm one works just fine).

This gives about 9mm of space for the crystal to drop into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts