The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no problem with vintage watches but this bezel just won't come off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It actually comes off very easily. You will need a VERY thin butter knife and a hankerchief. Wrap the butter knife once in the hankerchief, and slide it right in and under the bezel at the 9/45 marker/position. It actually slides right in, and then, lift it up. Lift up quickly so that you don't scratch the case. It will pop right out. Remember that to put it back on, align it perfectly with the 12 marker, then place it on a very flat surface...face down, use a textbook of some sort (hard cover) to press down in a rocking motion. The bracelet must be off.

This is the method that I use, and it has always worked for me.

Angelis ;D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Thanks for the tips Angelis. I had some trouble getting started with other watches.
Good tips. But when you say lift up, do you mean the blade part moves up away from case or down into the case. Sorta like prying up, or prying down, or are you pulling off bezel by blade straight pull up.
I'm just trying to find a good working method to my madness. My first time I left some scratches, and your handkerchief idea is great. Its good thing I have Jakes scratch brush to fix up my bads.

Thanks again.
Dave.

·
Registered
309 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Thanks for the tips Angelis. I had some trouble getting started with other watches.
Good tips. But when you say lift up, do you mean the blade part moves up away from case or down into the case. Sorta like prying up, or prying down, or are you pulling off bezel by blade straight pull up.
I'm just trying to find a good working method to my madness. My first time I left some scratches, and your handkerchief idea is great. Its good thing I have Jakes scratch brush to fix up my bads.

Thanks again.
Dave.
Definitely pry upwards. It actually pops right out. DO NOT pry up/down on the crown side, it MUST be done on the 9/45 position.

Angelis ;D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use a small piece of packing tape on the contact area and slip in a razor blade. Have not had any evidence or issues with case mark using this method.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also have to reinforce the point that with any watch, this activity should be done away from the crown..I guess unless you have a watch with lefty crown, or some other crown for some other function. You would not want to exert any unwarranted pressures on crowns.

Angelis ;D

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Wow, great tips thanks guys. Makes a lot of sense. I should've asked the first time I tried. Just too impatient , ended with a few scratches that are now fixed up anyhow. At least now I know a little more to be more prudent and effective with these new tips.
Thanks Angelis, hoping to get the OK. Can't wait. :)

Dave.

·
Registered
309 Posts
sharkfinDave said:
Wow, great tips thanks guys. Makes a lot of sense. I should've asked the first time I tried. Just too impatient , ended with a few scratches that are now fixed up anyhow. At least now I know a little more to be more prudent and effective with these new tips.
Thanks Angelis, hoping to get the OK. Can't wait. :)

Dave.
Anytime Dave!

Angelis ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts