The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my story...

http://www.larrybiggs.net/scwf/index.php?mod=103&action=0&id=1185395825

Udedokei Suto-ri #1 or how I became a Seikoholic...

Strange as it may seem; recollections of my first Seiko have been lost or buried in my vacuous skull. It took a conversation with my younger brother and sister, last week, to remind me that I actually had a Seiko watch during my time in Singapore!

During those years; the early to mid 60s; Singapore had several theme parks which included theatre complexes, arcades and eateries among other offerings. I remember some of them being named Asia World, New World, Happy World and Gay World(the closets were still full back then). These parks were always surrounded by huge billboards advertising everything from laundry soap to Toray Tetron.

Even the commercials that ran before movies had a large watch content. Most of the Swiss brands had begun advertising heavily and they were all there. I also remember Seiko ads extolling the virtues of wristwatches that were made by robots. One of the more prominent ones I recall was for the Bulova Accutron comparing it's hand assembled watches to a Seiko's automated assembly line watches.
This stuck in my mind as I had recently read Isaac Asimov's I Robot. I guess I had visions of Susan Calvin's humanoid robots standing at an assembly line putting together the watches we were seeing flashed up on the big screens.

It was around that time that I celebrated my 17th birthday and apparently had wanted one of the robot built watches. I do not remember ever having or receiving it but my brother and sister both assure me that I was given a nice gold Seiko with a white or silver dial on a leather strap. They also told me that I didn't have it long as it was stolen from my school locker during a PE class. Perhaps the amnesia was caused by the trauma of loosing it

Another reason I may not have remembered the watch or the birthday is because it was the first time I ever got drunk! Apparently, I was rather upset that I wasn't allowed to go to the club to watch the new James bond picture(Thunderball) and got to sampling the beverages in my father's liquor cabinet :-O Yep; that birthday is a complete blank...D'oh!

So, it would appear I have been a Seikoholic for a lot longer than I thought. It makes sense now when I think of how I always seemed to want a Seiko after returning from the Orient. There is probably no coincedence that my wife gave me a Seiko for my 40th birthday either.

Since I don't remember that very first Seiko, I can't post a picture. It was most likely a hand winder of the 66 type or a earlier versions...and thus part of my affinity to hand winding watches
I suppose pictures of 1965 vintage, gold cased, silver/white dialed, manual wind watches might trigger a memory but I wouldn't even know where to start a search like that.

My disease continues but at least I have a partial cure...

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My first seiko product came when I was a little kid and the early swatch crazy was in full bloom. I wanted a swatch badly (and the rubber band across the crystal as well) but my parents didn't see the need to buy such a watch to a little kid only to have him destroy it. instead they bought me a lorus of the day that had been made to intentionally emulate swatches, but which sold for less than third the price. I remember the dial was filled with multi colored geometic figures and that the hands where different geometric shapes. I remember being bumbed out until I started getting comments from swatch owners about how the liked the watch.

Over the years I occassionally owned seiko products, but never was never what you would call a true collector. Long before I was one, though, I was a watch lover, and bought tons of fashion watches (many of which I still have). What turned me into a collector was my grandfather's brown bullhead.

When I was a very young kid I remember my grandpa wearing a large brown watch. I thought it was super cool. As I became teen, I noticed he no longer wore it. Wehn I went off to college I asked him if he still had that old watch and he said sure, and gave it to me. It had a broken stem, but he still had the crown and the chrono was still working. I took it to a local watch shop and they wanted a bit over $200 to fix it, which for a broke college student seemed like a fortune. I passed and figured I'd get to it later. During one of the many college moves, one of my roomate confused the container the watch was in with garbage and accidentally threw it out. I was crushed, but what could I do. Several years later, I got to thinking of Grandpa's old watch and decided to look online to see if I could find out more about it. That led me to SCWF many MANY moons ago. 4 bullheads and three restorations later, I finally have a perfect restored example of the same watch my grandpa used to wear. in the process I discovered my love for watches, and vintage Japanese ones in particular, and the rest as they say is history, many years and over a hundred pieces later I still love watches and continue to collect and work on restoring the old pieces, thanks in large part to you guys.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have gone through several phases as a collector - vintage, Russians, chronos. I have been in my Seiko phase for about seven years now and while I get interested in other things (the chrono phase started after the Seiko phase, and a diver phase has taken hold since then as well), the Seiko fascination seems to be holding me with no end in sight.

Like a lot of guys, my introduction to Seikos was the Orange Monster. After my first one, there's been no turning back. I have to laugh when I think back to my introduction to Seikos. I was very frustrated with the arcane serial numbers. Now, I can rattle off dozens of them by heart. ;D

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I got bitten by the 6309 bug first. There was something about the classic "pillow" casing that called to me. Funny thing is, it's one of the few watches that I have kept. It fits me well & is always comfortable to wear. Since that first big Seiko bite, others have come & gone, but the first one stays with me. I have since come to love the often maligned Sumo as well. So may Seikos, so little time!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I always wanted a diver as a kid, and when I got an Omega dress watch from parents I immediately tried to "mod" it to a diver with Tip-Ex and a felt tip pen! Already then I was a WIS in the making.

About 5 years ago I searched eBay for affordable divers, and remember chortling when I saw 6309s and their weird shape. I bought an old Citizen diver, but kept coming back to those funny 6309s. I mean, just LOOK at them...

Well, I soon ended up buying one, to save me having to go to eBay for laughs, and when it arrived...wow! I was converted! since then I have expanded with 6217s, 6105s, Tunas, pocketwatches, Seikomatics...the list goes on. Affordable, classic and well-documented - a true WIS paradise!

·
Registered
162 Posts
My brother got me hooked last October when I went stayed with him while on vacation to go fishing. My first was a mod 5, then a black Monster. That is all it took. I now am a proud owner of 11 watches. I am still waiting for my White Knight to go with its brother the Orange Knight. I always did like watches but getting older, I just could not see the day/date on a ladies watch. (getting old ain't for sissies!!) I decided after seeing my brothers watch and trying it on, I figured I could pull it off - wearing a mans watch. I have gotten many many compliments on the watches I wear but I must admit I do have a couple of favorites that is taking up a lot of wrist time. I have found that the most comfortable watch's that I have so far is my 6309 and my skx173. They just seem to fit better.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'm still not a Seikoholic, but I've been probably convinced about the quality, when I was swimming in the Caribbeans without thinking about the watch I was wearing (which was by chance a Seiko). ;)

Cheers,

Axel

Otherwise I would have sworn on my fathers old Dugena - everytime it got flooded, it got tried again! ;D

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
July 1974. New career opportunity. Management training in fine jewelery salon. Watch counter. Omega, Rolex, Bulova, Seiko. Love at first sight. 6139-6005. $145.00 retail. Ouch! Seiko factory direct purchase program. $65.20. Cheese sandwiches and Pringles for weeks to follow.

#1, my first and still favorite, after all these years:

Over the years I have put at least $500.00 more into this beauty and am happy to have spent every penny.

I currently have over 50 of this model in various states of disrepair and many dozens of other 6139s. This is absolutely one of the very best movements made by Seiko or any other manufacture, for that matter.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I bought my first "good" watch, a 6138-0011, while stationed in Japan while in the Army in 1971. I still have it among my 40+ Seikos and 150+ total wrist watches (pocket watches don't count, hehe), and wear it occasionally. I should have bought more at the time!!! :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hi Pete,
Good thread. Here's me in Botswana 1976 with a 6319-6000 .

No idea what started me on the Seiko's and no idea where it will end.

My first decent watch,didn't last long stolen while on leave in South Africa.
Since then I've always had a made in Japan watch. Except for an Omega which I still have , bought in Nigeria 1977.

My only Grail watch is to replace my 6319. Always on the lookout for an original one,
"one day"

That's me on the left. The good Old days age 23. Zoom in to get a glimpse of the watch.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thumbs up for this thread.
Its being a while since we have quality post (since SCWF), that I enjoyed. :)
ok ok.... I have been busy and not checking on SCWF.

Jonathan, I totally understand the 500 bucks on your 6139. There goes the same for my bulls. That got me started. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excellent thread! I started out being interrested in swiss watches only. Omega primarily and mostly vintage. Hard times came by and apart from my 1967 Omega Speedmaster Professional and a Fortis Flieger, all other watches got sold. It stayed that way for several years and other hobbies took over (knives, guns, etc)
A friend of mine who bought one of my watches, asked me if I wanted to try out a Seiko 7002 diver he was looking to sell. Thought it could be fun to see and said yes.
I expected to see a cheap looking and feeling watch when I opened the package, but to my surprise it was love at first sight and I bought it the same day.
A few have come and gone, but my 6309 and Sumo have stayed on along with a few other affordable watches (and the Speedy!). Hoping to get a Tuna some day :)

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Must admit to me being a bit vague on specific times/or year when the affliction to collect Seiko/Citizen watches grabbed me and held on tight.
Im sure i was 11 when i was given my first real watch for my birthday an lcd display Seiko that i just loved.I also remember fondly being of the same age when visiting my grandparents and my Grandad wore either a silver Tudor or his expensive Silver Rolex oyster that he always let me clean for hours and polish up for him.I just loved to clean his watches and suppose the bug hit me then.I did go through the having to have a Casio G SHOCK stage,yet always loved the brand Seiko/Citizens especially as i got into Scuba Diving later when we moved to Australia.
It was there that i bought my Original Brand New Arnie that i used to dive with.Its also where my passion for Aqualands kicked in as there was two guys i used to dive with wore them and i always thought my Arnie was never as good looking as the Aqualand.I was then on a Mission to accumulate the Aqualand in my collection and learn all about them.This did happen over the last few years and i eventually went back after losing my Arnie in the 90,s to actually replacing that also.
My collection since has got bigger and bigger depending on budget as always.
Im now passionate about my collection and alyhough diverse this forum has opened my eyes to other Seikos and Citizens as well as non Japanese watches i would never have thought of.
THANK YOU SCWF. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts