The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have a crown that i need to have the logo removed ...would using a lathe be the best way to accomplish that?...it is a stainless crown?...God Bless John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Remember Stainless Steel will dis-color if heated to much.
Done very slowly with water might be the trick to that.

John check and see if it is the area of the crown threads and might be effected if cut down first.
If it is solid you might be able to remove it very slowly not to create to much heat to the metal and later leave just enough to get buffed down till smooth.
NOTE :
Be very careful of the depth of those threads also so as to not remove the solid part of it on the crown ...( Nob itself ).
A dremel could do that also I would say, slowly cutting it down till need affect of it. Might want to use some water to control the heat also.
Try not to (mar the rest of the shined surface ) doing that too might want to tape around it also.
I would buff it down as I would do it slowly once getting to the kept area so heat would not effect it and dis-color it.
You might end up with a ...." Little Knobbed spot " in the center, but I would leave it as part of the texture. It should work till later you want to find and replace it or just keep it like that.
It probably could just be done with nice smooth file very slowly held in a little vise. Use wood so as to not crush the
crown in any area as holding jaws.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I would put the crown in the Dremel chuck and polish the logo off using various grades of 'wet and dry' abrasive paper, working up to 1200 then metal polish......./

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey that is a great idea John D...never thought about the dremel like that...thank you for the great info...God Bless John..LongBike...my idea was to use a file first to get rid of the majority of the logo and then use the dremel to polish it back to 100%...the lathe idea would just be easier i think...i just do not have access to one...thank you both...i will show you how it turns out...

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is what i thought too John...a lathe is just a more suitable option and will make it look perfect...i just need to find someone who can do that for me...

·
Registered
931 Posts
I like John_D's idea and i do have a dremel but i find that one wrong move and I can do irreversible damage . I personally would put a stem in it , use a pin vise to hold the stem and crown , put the pin vise in my table vice and carefully use a fine jewelers file to concentrate on removing the logo only . Then use fine grit sand paper to remove any file marks....I use 2000 grit , rubbing compound and water to fine sand crystals....and then a final polish with my cloth polishing wheel and jewelers rouge or compound . The polish part only takes a couple of passes so you don't heat up the item .

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that is great info too Louis...i agree that if i screw up..it will be very costly...that is why i like the lathe idea..well once i get it installed i have to make up my mind how to do it...thank you all...so many choices...God Bless John

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well thank you Steve...i so appreciate the offer...i may take you up on that...God Bless John...

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it is not going on a Breitling...it is a genuine part...the crown will fix a problem i have...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I would put the crown in the Dremel chuck and polish the logo off using various grades of 'wet and dry' abrasive paper, working up to 1200 then metal polish......./
Very Smart John. I recommended a dremel with a metal cutter but installing the correct tap stem in the crown to prevent crushing the stem extension which is was more deilicate that you would believe with no stem inside to support it and then chucking it up in the dremel and working it that way sounds even better. Just keep the speeds down bellow 4 I say and you can keep dipping the crown in cool water to keep the heat out of the metal if you want though I think it would take a lot of heat to discolor stainless steel.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I like John_D's idea and i do have a dremel but i find that one wrong move and I can do irreversible damage . I personally would put a stem in it , use a pin vise to hold the stem and crown , put the pin vise in my table vice and carefully use a fine jewelers file to concentrate on removing the logo only . Then use fine grit sand paper to remove any file marks....I use 2000 grit , rubbing compound and water to fine sand crystals....and then a final polish with my cloth polishing wheel and jewelers rouge or compound . The polish part only takes a couple of passes so you don't heat up the item .
Absolutely it MUST have a stem threaded all the way into the tube or the tube will just crush.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i will fit it first to make sure everything works before i remove the logo...i think the lathe is the right away to do...best to make it right

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no...i wanted the genuine one and it is worth the costs to use a high quality one....i generic one will not due..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts