The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In seeing reference to "the Arnie," folks seem to identify it as the H558-5000 SEIKO. Other than the number stamped on the caseback, how is this different from the H558-5009?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your reply.

Would you happen to know into what market the H558-5009 was released, intended?

·
Registered
862 Posts
From what I understand the 9 indicates USA distribution and the 0 indicates somewhere else. For example 6309-7040 is not the usa but 6309-7049 is the usa. Hopefully i'm stating this correctly. It flew over my head for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If so, that would be consistent with some other calibres I've seen. (And I realize now in looking back at my Post above that I inadvertently transposed the last digit, thus accidentally re-stating just the opposite of what had been said in the reply to my original question: Sorry.)

There is an M354-5019, which is the James Bond SEIKO in Moonraker. The M354-5010 is virtually identical. Now, that said, the movie watches were exclusively sourced in Europe, so it would seem that the 9 suffix digit would indicate non-US?

Hmm--.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wait, i'm half asleep and should not be posting. You were talking Arnies and there are differences. Although there should be no difference, normnally, in this case I beleive there is. 5000 and 5009 Arnies have differences in whats printed on the dials? Some say water resist and some say Divers. The real differences though are only found in H558-500x and H601-5480. H558-500X has the digital display on top and H601-5480 digital display is on the bottom. I own both of these two said models just recently scored them both back to back... So i'm not expert yet, however I almost won a H558-5000 that had the rare 150m water resist on the dial. Other than that I think it's the only true difference between 5000 and 5009 and actually i'm not even sure this slight dial difgference can be attributed to the regional serial number difference. Collecting these watches is bloody frustrating sometimes. :)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not sure about the other model, but unless i'm half asleep the last 9 always indicates US distribution. Maybe a senior guy can help me help you hopefully someone else comments. Not sure about the other model you mention. I dont dare look it up then I will have to have it. Ha ha
Dell said:
If so, that would be consistent with some other calibres I've seen. (And I realize now in looking back at my Post above that I inadvertently transposed the last digit, thus accidentally re-stating just the opposite of what had been said in the reply to my original question: Sorry.)

There is an M354-5019, which is the James Bond SEIKO in Moonraker. The M354-5010 is virtually identical. Now, that said, the movie watches were exclusively sourced in Europe, so it would seem that the 9 suffix digit would indicate non-US?

Hmm--.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here is my H601-5480

Here is Mattias K's H558-5000 with the rare dial marking

Here is my 5009 with a different dial
Actually it's out for service and I cant find the pic, I might have deleted it but my dial on the Arnie H558-5009 says Divers 150m

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hope all my rambling helped. I researched through the search engine on our old site and with Google for at least 5 hours this whole Arnie business. All I know is no matter what Arnie model you go for they are all expensive! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Generally speaking the last digit of the case number denotes the market. 0-4 Non North America markets.
5-9 North America markets. 9 is US market.
If you look at the case number of a inexpensive Seiko sold in a discount store you will see that the last digit is not 9 which indicates gray market. Basically same watch but did not come through the Seiko US distributor.

Ken

Dell said:
In seeing reference to "the Arnie," folks seem to identify it as the H558-5000 SEIKO. Other than the number stamped on the caseback, how is this different from the H558-5009?

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Bumping an old thread.

some of you may remember me telling the story of a buddy of mine who is/was a world-class professional skier and casual diver. Over the years he bought and destroyed a number of watches, including a 70s Omega Speedmaster (water-fouled after diving in Fiji, then thrown away), and some Seiko chronograph (snapped off while on a ski lift, left in a snow drift). He just gave me his totally dead Bulova Marine Star (DOA) that I couldn't do anything with, so he told me to keep it. Well, I just got a message from him that he found a "Seiko Diver" in a closet this weekend. He says that he must have bought it after he threw the Omega away. He said it wasn't working. No idea what's wrong.

Friends, it's an Arnie. H558-5009. He's got it at his store waiting for me to pick up on Thursday. He says it "looks good but isn't working". Any hints or anything on typical problems with this model? Anything to look out for? Any classic issues they have? This one's serial is 540610

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seiko H558-5009 Arnie, diver watch

I need repairs Seiko H558-5009 Arnie, watch. Just the inside - maybe just a battery leak. Who knows this watch and has parts and can fix it? Thanks Jamie.Loans at gmail.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts