·
Administrator
28,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. :)

Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum – Japanese Watch Reviews, Discussion & Trading > MAIN FORUMS > THE JAPANESE WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM>Misrepresented 6139-6002 Silver Dial on Auction Site

These type of posts are becoming more common as more AM and fakes are showing up. Maybe we should have a dedicated section for these, or do we already have one? What say you Admin?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
If it's going to help potential buyers from a pitfall, which I believe it will to some extent, then there should be no reason not to go with that suggestion

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You had me at "sticky for fakes"...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Long time coming if you ask me. Even tho if one does their due diligence, it wouldn't have been necessary but alas.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
A Sticky For a Sticky Subject👍👍👍

Or as Blackadder said:-

The Stickiest Situation Since Sticky The Stick Insect Got Stuck on A Sticky Bun😜

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It’s a good idea for sure.

The only issue from my POV is I don’t think I’ve looked at the sticky section more than once or twice. I tend to scroll past it and down to chat (as I do on every forum I’m on). I think it’s a throw back to old forums where stickies were never threads to reply in.

A floating thread would prob work really well. The only time I read the sales rules is when that reminder thread pops back up!

Between us we’d keep it on the first page I’m sure, in fact it’ll probably be the busiest thread online haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Personally I think it’s a great idea. I have owned and shopped for watches for years but only very recently began buying on auctions and forums. Frankly I could use the education a floating thread would provide!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Hmm, items that aren't fake will get mentioned and then everyone else finds the bargain I might have had a chance at! :)

In all seriousness,, I think if it is simply a thread for "feiko or genuine" then it could be helpful, but a site like this is full of info that helps genuine buyers do their research on a model anyway?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
This might be too grey a topic for this type of thread to work.

At what level of "fake" is a watch to be added. One AM part, or 50% AM.

If a seller accurately describes all the AM parts, should it be posted?

I think it's nice in theory but will falter in practice.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
What’s quite interesting is a Watch I’ve just seen online, sold by a ‘trusted vintage Seiko dealer’ has a fake dial and hands. This is someone who posts a lot slating the fakes on eBay.

·
Administrator
28,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What’s quite interesting is a Watch I’ve just seen online, sold by a ‘trusted vintage Seiko dealer’ has a fake dial and hands. This is someone who posts a lot slating the fakes on eBay.
Interesting, I see a problem in the future where a guy with a good reputation buys a model with a fake dial or bezel etc and genuinely doesent know there fake and later down the line he sells it to another honest collector who buys it knowing it came from a genuine collector so all original and when he sells it to a newby the newby feels good knowing that the last two buyers where well known Seiko "experts" and suddenly a fake has become genuine :(

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Interesting, I see a problem in the future where a guy with a good reputation buys a model with a fake dial or bezel etc and genuinely doesent know there fake and later down the line he sells it to another honest collector who buys it knowing it came from a genuine collector so all original and when he sells it to a newby the newby feels good knowing that the last two buyers where well known Seiko "experts" and suddenly a fake has become genuine :(

There’s someone on a Swiss forum that posts a Seiko in the wayw threads pleased as punch he got it from a trusted source and it’s about as fake’d up as they come.

Some of these sellers are so trusted people will blindly ignore any research and just buy from them at 3 times the price just for peace of mind! To be fair this is the first one I’ve seen from this particular seller but the obvious warning signs were all there, OTT radial lines on the sub dial (aside from the fact the fake dial was for a completely different model) nasty indices with that paint-like lume the fakes have plus it had those fake chrono hands with the protruding centre posts. The post has gone now so assume someone else informed him, I’d be pretty sure he will do the right thing for the buyer though so doubt there’ll be any passing on of the fake parts as legit.

Some of the sellers on IG are literally able to buy off eBay and list on their website or IG and get 2/3/4 times the price just based on trust of the buyer alone. These buyers are being shown fakes & basically being told by them to avoid eBay sellers and they’ve got their own little industry going.

I saw a totally fake’d up silver Pogue on IG the other day, pretty easy tells (even the Suwa was the old fake where it’s wide apart) fake bezels (in and out) Felt bad for the guy as he was pleased as punch finally finding a silver Pogue... One of the big Seiko buyers at the moment who (spends a fortune with vintage Seiko dealers) commented on the post how lovely the watch was! This is someone that’s got legit silver pogues too! Makes me wonder if people actually see any of the details or just basic colours and logos haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts