The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Special Member
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate it when my 7 day auctions on fleabay get like 5 or more watchers in the first 2 days but no bids. I suppose that means others (just like I do myself when I watch) just want to see how the market prices are moving. Still I just want to end it early in case one of them was OK with the idea of alliwing no bids with a hopeful snipe at the last second. I snipe regularly but not on no bid auctions. I go in early at the starting price to get a bid on the board and keep it from ending early or via the back door deal.

Somehow this just pisses me off.

Anybody else feel "used" like that?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have some very rare Pontiac GTO parts left over from the last car my Pops restored before he passed. I have had as many as 60 views and 15 watchers on some items but only two real bidders. I also have noticed with some of the extremely rare car parts I am selling of many people do not want to bid they just want to buy and they offer very good money to end an auction early.

Michael

·
Administrator
33,293 Posts
I hate it when my 7 day auctions on fleabay get like 5 or more watchers in the first 2 days but no bids. I suppose that means others (just like I do myself when I watch) just want to see how the market prices are moving. Still I just want to end it early in case one of them was OK with the idea of alliwing no bids with a hopeful snipe at the last second. I snipe regularly but not on no bid auctions. I go in early at the starting price to get a bid on the board and keep it from ending early or via the back door deal.

Somehow this just pisses me off.

Anybody else feel "used" like that?
Doesent bother me as it happens all the while, thats eBay.

What makes me smile is the guy who bids £0.99 and leaves it at that, I think they just get a buzz out of thinking they put a bid on a so and so, makes them feel good :)

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i sell on the bay often...and get lots of offers ...what i usually do...is just set a price and have the make a offer option too...i have found i get faster sales...get more for what i want and it is much easier...with the auction function..i have got more aggravation and had more non payments ...but the bay is getting better with the Rat's too...if i see something i like on the bay..i always email the people and try and put a deal together...but i never make the deal outside ebay...unless it is from someone on here...and always use paypal too...just protects everyone...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Last December I listed a bunch of airplane model kits with a .99 cent auction starting price and this one idiot bidder bid $1.02 on like 10 of them! What a putz!

Michael

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i have had that too...that is why i will not start my auctions with 99 cents any longer..it seems the less people pay...the ruder and foolish they are..sadly

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Well i will bid on a item when my watch list is full too...so i am not the only one who does that...thank you thinkman808

·
Special Member
7,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Story has a happy ending.

Watch A got first bid with an hour to go and a last second snipe at $2 over listing price so she sold. 5 watchers.

Watch B got sniped at last second as only bid so it sold at listing price. 4 watchers at the end, down from 5 mid-auction.

Watch C had 4 different folks email me with inane questions but then went unsold. 5 watchers

Bizzare but that's stinking ebay for you. These 2 plus another sold earlier this week nicely refilled the PayPal balance. What's next I wonder?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i have been selling just odds and ends lately..and to my surprise...most have just been selling...i think they like the make the offer...that way it is on them..

·
Registered
638 Posts
Story has a happy ending.

Watch A got first bid with an hour to go and a last second snipe at $2 over listing price so she sold. 5 watchers.

Watch B got sniped at last second as only bid so it sold at listing price. 4 watchers at the end, down from 5 mid-auction.

Watch C had 4 different folks email me with inane questions but then went unsold. 5 watchers

Bizzare but that's stinking ebay for you. These 2 plus another sold earlier this week nicely refilled the PayPal balance. What's next I wonder?
My biggest seller pet peeve is when I have a watch up that has like a dozen watchers and still goes unsold without a bid. As a bidder, sometimes I'll put a watch on my watchlist just to see what it goes for, but usually only if it's a really expensive or rare watch. Otherwise, if it's on my list I'm interested in bidding.

I tend to buy lots and then sell off the junk coming with it, or an occasionally non-running Seiko, with a $.99 opening bid and $6 shipping. I'm at a loss as to why someone keeps track of that but has no interest in bidding.

First world problem, I guess...

·
Special Member
3,400 Posts
Well, sometimes I've got an incoming diy watch and I keep other diy watches on the watch list in case I need some parts. When I really want a watch I usually just put in the max bid I can afford :) And I've got "plan b" watches on the watch list in case a watch I'm bidding on goes to a lucky winning sniper...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'd say it's common for your average buyer looking for a second hand watch to spend a while browsing on ebay and adding any that catch their eye to their watch list. They'll probably only end up actually bidding on one or two, according to preference and price etc. Hence lots of common or unpopular watches often get a few watchers and no bids.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Doesent bother me as it happens all the while, thats eBay.

What makes me smile is the guy who bids £0.99 and leaves it at that, I think they just get a buzz out of thinking they put a bid on a so and so, makes them feel good :)
I'll often do that if there's not long to go and it's got no bids on it......just in case it slips through the net and I get a bargain.
It's worked quite a few times as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I try to put anything that catches my eye into my watch list, so I can come back the next day and look at it with fresh eyes - usually, what I'm really excited about the previous night is absolute junk in the cold light of day.

Funny thing about eBay is that everyone has their own strategy and thinks other people are dumb for doing it their own way. Personally, I'm a lowball bidder - put down a couple of bucks and see where things go. Often something better does come up.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
well i have found lately that the ones i think will sell the best seem to go very reasonable or not sell at all...and the ones that you would never think would bring reeal money people seem to go crazy for....and with so many people with so many strategies ....you would think most of these great watches find new homes...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I try to put anything that catches my eye into my watch list, so I can come back the next day and look at it with fresh eyes - usually, what I'm really excited about the previous night is absolute junk in the cold light of day.

Funny thing about eBay is that everyone has their own strategy and thinks other people are dumb for doing it their own way. Personally, I'm a lowball bidder - put down a couple of bucks and see where things go. Often something better does come up.
yep, thats what I do as well.
I've just started selling my first watch/item on ebay so will see how I go :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's what I do many times. Especially if I see a base number in the stratosphere but I still like the item, so I keep watching and after 2 or 3 relistings, maybe it will come down to earth. And my earth may be different than someone elses. It's a big county.

Best regards,

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts