The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I snagged a Olympic World time (6217-7000) off the 'bay today, and it has a crack in the case back. I'd never intentionally get the watch wet, so no worries there, but it seems sweat and humidity have an easier time with a crack like that.

I'm assuming my soldering skills won't solve this (or will they?) so I'm wondering if I need this welded/bonded/whatever instead, and who/how?

Ideas?

The offending issue:

The rest of the watch, 'cuz we all love to see watches:

·
Registered
29,028 Posts
Laser weld or find a donor...Looks pretty good otherwise. I wonder if any moisture crept in there already ?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Movement looked free from intrusion to me:

Being an Olympic case back, I was thinking a replacement might be tough. How much does a laser weld cost, and can someone PM me a purveyor?

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
A good watchmaker (not watchbodger) should be able to laser weld it - as they use the same for building up dings and scratches.

·
Administrator
33,757 Posts
Looks great :) I have used a guy in the UK, superb but I doubt it would be cost effective for you to use him.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whelp, nobody local (Michigan) laser welds so far as I know, so if anyone knows a US based source, I'm happy to hear about them.

·
Administrator
33,757 Posts
Whelp, nobody local (Michigan) laser welds so far as I know, so if anyone knows a US based source, I'm happy to hear about them.
I seem to remember Spencer using a guy sometime back to do some work on a 6105 case ?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had that nice world-timer on my watchlist for a few days , but that small crack keep me from pushing the bid button . Being stainless I am not sure if it can be fixed with silver solder, I was thinking about the local Bead It shop where they teach jewelry soldering .....also I was thinking about taking it to a local muffler shop where I had an exhaust pipe flange repaired once because their welders all had certificates for different types of welding techniques , including stainless . The job they did for me impressed me with the beautiful, clean welding application......Good luck

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
What I see is a difficult job to repair... I will check here if someone can do the laser welding at affordable price though...:sleep:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts