The Watch Site banner

Home made dials and bezels

12K views 49 replies 36 participants last post by  mcgyver 
#1 · (Edited)
Some years ago I got hold of a small CNC-router. At the time I was mostly using to make PCBs for my audioprojects and to engrave plates on my DIY autio stuff.

As I also have watch making as a hobby I needed to replace the dial on some wrecks I was restoring and started to think is I could use my router for this.

Here are my first tries on making dials and bezels!

The first watch was a Seiko that I taught had a nice retro case and hands that I liked.

I used the software I got with the router, Dr Engrave to make the layout for the dial.

First tests using a Dremel tool to cut the anodized aluminium.

Small video of initial tests.

At the time I did not have a endmill at hand so drilling and milling the dial circular was done by hand in my small milling machine.

Two dials ready for paint and lume!

Painted dials

Removing access paint

Time to change dials

And with the dial in place

The lume works! :)

I then got hold of a used SKX031 and tried to make a new dial and bezel for it.

First try!

Dial made from the same material, 0.5mm brushed anodized aluminium.

Dial and bezel painted with a mixture of white paint and lume and ready to be assembled.

Half way there....

Done!

I did not have a 22mm strap at hand, so a 20mm had to do for the moment!

I some how magnaged to miss the line att 23:00 on the bezel - so I had to make a new one!

I also removed the number 10 and substututed it with a line instead.

The new bezel in place.

See less See more
#9 ·
I use a coffee filter that has been slightly damped with white spirit for the course grain and a printerpaper for the metall with finer grain! :)

A piece of auminium is used under the filter/paper to get a smooth surface. It takes a bit of practice to get a hang of how long time the paint shall dry, how much white spirit to use,how much pressure should I use e.t.c.

#8 ·
impressive work..

#10 ·
if you ever want to make these for sale...let me know..i have a great idea for a dial and bezel insert...

#16 ·
well if you decide to make a few...pm me...thanks again for showing us the great work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.