The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Craftsman
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest 6139 arrived today. A 6139-6002 Pogue, which from the sellers pictures looked to be in original condition (except the bracelet) and whilst worn had no obvious signs of abuse or disrepair.

Giving it the once over at work, it wasn't running nor did it seem to want to work.

Neither of the two buttons wanted to work (no click action) and turning the hands gave a very stiff feel and the day/date changeover wasn't working.

The inner dial ring did turn - well, that's a start. :D

At home, I took the back off and was greeted with my first rusty watch. :eek:hmy:

I've seen many a quartz watch damaged by battery leakage but not had a purely water damaged one before.

To be honest I wasn't too fussed about the damage to the movement, I'd bought the watch primarily for the dial, hands, inner dial ring and all the other very hard to source components that make up these wonderfully engineered and constructed watches.

That said, the level of damage worried the heck out of me. I'll let the pictures tell their own story.....

there was even some damage on the dial side

I think this will be the ideal opportunity to disassemble the 6139 movement. I really don't think this one can be saved (well, not by me anyway)

I pleased to say however that whilst there was rust deposit and debris everywhere, the majority of the non-movement components have cleaned up quite well so there is hope yet. I'll update this thread with more pictures as I go.

The listing came with those wonderfully worded caveats we've come to love:

".....don't no much about it it does not seem to be working but my grand dad told me that when it went in the draw it was but I am selling it as a none worker...."

All I can think is that grand dad went swimming before he put it in the drawer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wish I had a dollar for everyone of these that got binned back in the early 80s as not being worth repairing when they came in for estimates.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Maybe it was the dishwasher drawer. That looks a real mess but it's good to hear you are able to harvest a number of parts. The minute counter ring looks to have little fading.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Based on some of the stuff I have fixed I would actually say you have a chance at saving that if you work at it long enough. You'd be surpised how much rust comes off with some oil and rubbing. The major problem would probably be pivots that are totally gone from rust, and springs.

Then again, it does look pretty bad...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, serious abuse indeed. :(
I wouldn't call it abuse exactly - people just didn't know any better. I remember a friend in high school getting this watch brand new in '75 and we lived by a lake. How long do you think these things lasted in water? :undecided:
They fogged up, eventually they stopped running and they went in a drawer. Maybe they eventually made it to a jeweler but even back then they weren't cheap to fix. Those that weren't repaired were thrown back in the drawer to rust away quietly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'd be inclined to attempt to remove what I can with ease, anything that doesn't want to undo with little pressure stays in place, I would then (never done it yet) drop the whole movement in a glass of coke!!!! Then rinse it, then dry and fibre brush it and use a little oil and cloth, nice weekend project, I reckon it's salvageable but as said before springs and pivots might be shot.

·
Craftsman
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be carefully taking it apart and cleaning what I can. At worst I get to take a 6139 apart.

I might get to salvage some parts. I doubt that I will be able to get this one to run again (and keep time) being as it will be the first 6139 I've worked on, but you never know.....

·
2,237 Posts
Looks so promising in the first pics too. What a shame, but hopefully you'll get some good parts out of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
if you have never tried it, I suggest you use "Blue Wonder" to remove the rust without damageing the part. This is great stuff develpoed to clean jet engine parts, non toxic and odorless. I use it on firearms without dmageing the blueing,

·
Craftsman
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having seen the movement, my concerns immediately turned to the dial, inner dial ring and any other salvageable parts.

Removing the movement from the case showed heavy rust residue in the insides of the case, notably around the crown stem and pusher holes. The pusher holes were so gunged up that I couldn't get the springs out.

Inspecting the dial showed lots of white stains (I guess where the water evaporated) and also many flecks of lume and other deposits.

The hands came off easily and then I had to get the dial off. I was very worried that the screws that hold it in place were too rusted to get them undone.

The first one turned easily, but the second one was so rusted that when I turned the screwdriver the head of the screw (not the whole screw head, but the part with the groove in) crumbled away.

Luckily I was able to score a groove through the rust and get the dial off.

Then I set about cleaning the dial.

To be honest I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

I used rodico and very very carefully dabbed and then rubbed the areas that needed it.

I've lost a small amount at the edges, but both of these will be covered by the inner dial ring. This is also in very good, un faded condition.

I'm disappointed that the small cog on the stem that turns the inner dial ring had suffered fairly bad rust damage. I cleaned it up as best I could (so far) and free'd it up (it was rusted tight to the stem). I'm not sure if it is usable like this or whether I'll need to smooth the surfaces to prevent damage to the underside of the inner dial ring.

So, I've got lots of usable parts and a couple of donor movements to use. I've also got a scrap movement to attempt a re-build on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Good start man, and you did wonders on the shiny bits of the dial. As for that horribly expensive inner-ring-turning-gear... you are lucky it is in one piece. Of the all the watches that have passed through my hands that have that gear only one wasn't rusted totally away.

If you smooth it out a bit with a needle file you should be OK, another option might be to try to polish the rust off with a toothpick and paste so you don't lose too much material. If you separate the crown I would use a bit of heat on it or soak it overnight. I have never had one of those stems that has seen water NOT break in two. And they can be hard to find sometimes, not to mention that you need to get the broken off stem out of the crown if you want to use it. If you can clean it up as it is, with out taking the crown off go for it.

Nice work man.

·
Craftsman
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So on a lovely autumn day I started to work on this movement. This will be another new journey for me, I've haven't worked on a 6139 before.

I photographed every single step of the disassembly. I've learned from experience that having that one picture that shows how a part fits back is invaluable. Its also fun to study and see the detail that the eye doesn't always see.

So, here we go ...........

I had already seen the black mess around the transmission wheel.

Here it is:

and after cleaning:

OK - so we're going to need a new one of these. :(

Fully disassembled I had this:

Before I removed the dial side components and the center wheel and pinion the main plate looked like this:

After cleaning, it looks like this:

Much better :D

I hope the center wheel and pinion cleans up :undecided:

·
Registered
461 Posts
A man after my own heart, I see you just had to have a gomto see if it was possible to bring it back to life, well done so far and good luck

·
Craftsman
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've spent the weekend cleaning all the parts. I'm really quite pleased with how its gone so far. I've now got this:

and I feel that I know each part intimately ;)

The rust has caused some damage, most notably to the framework for automatic device:

even though it still works I'll look for a replacement. I will also look for a chronograph bridge, though the damage is more cosmetic:

I'm very pleased how the wheels cleaned up:

and these are positively pristine:

I cleaned the balance and hairspring in essence of renata:

I removed them from the balance cock because this was quite rusty and I didn't want to damage them as I was cleaning it. It cleaned up very nicely:

I then decided to clean the center chronograph wheel (even though it looked very clean). Look at the bits left afterwards:

and I thought it was clean :eek:

The main spring barrel cleaned up very nicely:

and I will probably open it up and clean and re-grease the spring itself.

The day and date disks cleaned up very nicely:

so I'll be able to use these.

So, time to study the technical guides and look for some assembly videos ...........

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
WOW, Sir Alan-
I have to believe that the movement you received was certainly NOT what you expected. I have to hand it to you though, you were served a very bitter lemon and you and your POSITIVE OUTLOOK have decided to make lemonade with it. I know people who would be raining down fire and brimstone on that seller whether it made sense or not. Thank you for photographing each step of the disassembly for ALL of us to enjoy and learn from and I look forward to your next installment on this thread until you reach whatever conclusion proves appropriate. I am truly impressed and after today I am a smarter and more knowledgeable watch enthusiast, thanks to you and this board !

1 - 20 of 78 Posts