The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in learning more about Seiko's development of the 6139/Chrono movement(s). By looking at the photo database and seeing the numerical progression of movements (6139-6000, 6139-6001, etc...) can I then suppose that the photos DO represent the development of the 6139 movement? Better yet, is there a Chrono Reference similar to the Divers Reference? I'd love to educate myself a bit more on these watches, learning how to tell the age/rarity of a chrono by what I see on the dial and/or case back. TIA for any suggestions sent my way (but no Google links, please, I'll do that much to educate myself).

Dan

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Spencer - I'm reading that as I write this! I"m particularly interested in trying to establish some hard and fast rules like:

* All 6139's are all Seiko 5's
* All the 6139's that read "Water 70 Resist" came before the ones that read "Water 70 Proof"

Stuff like that...

Thanks again.

Dan.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Dasher said:
Thank you Spencer - I'm reading that as I write this! I"m particularly interested in trying to establish some hard and fast rules like:

* All 6139's are all Seiko 5's
* All the 6139's that read "Water 70 Resist" came before the ones that read "Water 70 Proof"

Stuff like that...

Thanks again.

Dan.
The only 6139-60xx's with "5" designations are the JDM ones, the Speedtimers.

In a broad sense, yes it went "Proof" to "Resist" to no text dials, but it happened at different times to different subvariants, and some subvariants never had all of those dial varieties. The last four digits of the watch tell us what geographic area a watch was made for. Different areas went from Proof to Resist at different times. Since Seiko doesn't release production data we have to base what we believe on observed examples. 6139-6000 and -6001s were non-U.S. and kept Proof until at least August 1970. But by this time, the 6139-6009s (U.S. only) had already moved to "Resist" back in March 1970. Just two examples. We really should update that article.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another "hard and fast" rule is that notched cases are only on very early watches, and therefore are very desirable.

What about things like movement improvements? I read all about the divers going from 6105 to 6309 to 7s26 in an effort to make a better movement, cut costs, etc..., did the 6139 go through these same developments, or is a -600x nearly exactly similar to a -8029, for example? (Movement-wise only, of course.)

I may be opening a can of worms here, and for that I apologize in advance. I will do my darndest to keep Google searching terms like "Seiko 6139 History" and the such in order to get up to speed here!

Dan

·
Administrator
28,486 Posts
Dasher said:
Another "hard and fast" rule

Dan

All my knowledge put together about the 6139s wouldent cover the back of a postage stamp hardly but i would NEVER put any money on "hard and fast" rules were Seiko are concerned there are just so many variables and we seem to learn more and more all the while but there is always a spanner thrown in the works from time to time, one perfect example is AJs 1979 6105 :)

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Dasher said:
Another "hard and fast" rule is that notched cases are only on very early watches, and therefore are very desirable.

What about things like movement improvements? I read all about the divers going from 6105 to 6309 to 7s26 in an effort to make a better movement, cut costs, etc..., did the 6139 go through these same developments, or is a -600x nearly exactly similar to a -8029, for example? (Movement-wise only, of course.)

I may be opening a can of worms here, and for that I apologize in advance. I will do my darndest to keep Google searching terms like "Seiko 6139 History" and the such in order to get up to speed here!

Dan
Hi Dan,

well, notched cases appeared on "proof" watches, yes, but they also were used on the 6139-6009 "Resist" models, a cul-de-sac design of the 6139s destined for the U.S. market as noted above. So it's not a huge hard-and-fast rule. Also, the late "proof" 6139-6001s used a non-notch case - I know this because I own one. There's no single rule that covers all things.

"6139" refers to the movement family - the 6139 was first produced (but not sold) in February 1969, with sales starting in April or May (I forget which), and it continued to be produced up until 1979 I believe. The sub-case number, the stuff that comes after the "-" refers to the case style. There was a 6139A, and a 6139B - the "A" model had a different chronograph wheel, a different flyback lever & spring arrangement, a different intermediate wheel in the chrono bridge to actuate the minute-recorder. Also, within the "B" movements there are what I think of as early and late ones, with the only difference being that the later ones (and I could be wrong that they were later - they could have been produced in a different factory, who knows) used an all-plastic date finger arrangment, including a plastic stepped gear between the date finger and the hour wheel part.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spencer - I'm gonna go ahead and throw a +1 at you for putting up with me! Now back to the books...thanks so much. :)

D.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Dasher said:
Spencer - I'm gonna go ahead and throw a +1 at you for putting up with me! Now back to the books...thanks so much. :)

D.
Oh, I'd bore a statue to death if it asked me about 6139s. I love talking about them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yet another 6139 post i have only just read. On the topic of variations....
Managed to dig out some old 70's seiko brochures from the garage and i can only see a mention of the blue dial option (refered to as model AHOO7) in one brochure dating from 1972 or 73 i think, after that the only version on offer is the gold version (AH005) Like the one i had back then. Does this mean that the blue pepsi 6139 was not sold in the Uk from 72/73 onwards or was just not in the brochures??

J

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
moonraker said:
yet another 6139 post i have only just read. On the topic of variations....
Managed to dig out some old 70's seiko brochures from the garage and i can only see a mention of the blue dial option (refered to as model AHOO7) in one brochure dating from 1972 or 73 i think, after that the only version on offer is the gold version (AH005) Like the one i had back then. Does this mean that the blue pepsi 6139 was not sold in the Uk from 72/73 onwards or was just not in the brochures??

J
Hi J,

does this mean you got hold of some brochures that are not in the SCWF archives?

If so, would it at any rate be possible to scan and share them?
That would be so much appreciated!!!

Best,
Hermann

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not got a scanner at home but will scan the 6139 page that refers to the blue version when i go back to work next week, i will then post on this thread

Best
Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts