The Watch Site banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:

I decided to take a few comparison shots of two of the best ABC watches to be found in the market for the money, the Highgear Altis versus the Nike Oregon. Please note that the screen shots do not show accurate readings as I did not calibrate either one. This is just for layout and dimension information purposes.

Front view side by side. Nike is wider, but Highgear is longer lug to lug. Nike has a bigger screen, but the higear can be made to display slightly more information on the main screen:

Button Arrangement. Nike's cross drilled buttons have a longertravel in their spring and are a bit more tactile. still both are easy to use. Both watches have 5 buttons in the same locations all dedicated to the same functions on both watches:

Thi highgear has a sensor outlet between the opposite side buttons. The nike has no such opening anywhere that is visible. the caseback on the nike is slotted, so my guess is that that is where it's sensor is exposed.

Casebacks. Nike has a double screw type steel casebacks. the center section is to acces sthe battery, and the rear section removes both for accessingthe movement. The highgear is the same set-up, but the back appears to be Titanium, with the batery hatch like the nike's but the main caseback being held by 4 screws (nike has the more expensive design here):

Straps. Both us rubber integrated designs. neither has a replacement option. Nike uses a one piece design that attaches in mounting posts underneath the case, while Highgear uses a two piece design that attaches with a hex-type screw bar at either end of the case and rubber support mounts overthe caseback. Both straps are seriously vented. The nike straps is thicker and wider, but uses a softer rubber compound.

Both straps use the same type of strap keeper design with a locking post mounted at the end of the strap. The nike design is big and metal, making it easier to fit. Highgear's design is smaller and is a molded section of the rubber strap. both work well, but the nike is easier to use.

Buckles. Nike uses a Nice heavy duty metal buckle with a double tongue. Highgear uses a more traditional design with a single toungue. bothe work well. because of the metal chosen, the nike buckle is mor substantial. the titanium Altis buckle is very light, which gives it that plasticky feeling that is often associated with small titanium pieces. Both work very well:

Screen shots. Main screen:

Compass. Nike uses a really cool bi-color graphical display combined with dgrees information. Higear's is more of a scrolling marquee. bothe work well but the nike is more intuitive:

Altimeter. Both provid accurate altimeter information along with progress graphs. the Higear includes a ski feature, which the nike does not have. both also provide bargraphs displaying progress overtime (the screen I chose fo this picture on the higear doesn't show it, but it is there):

Barometer/Weather station:

Wristshot:

Overall both are very impressive pieces. The Higear is not really the smaller piece, its shape just makes it easier to wear. The more I look at each piece the less I feel confident that the Nike is truly superior. It is an older piece and it is better thought out over all, but its also a bit less flexible. The highgear takes the cake in shear configurability. You can pretty choose how to display information in practically every single mode, and what information you want to see. you can do this in the nike too, but not quite to the same degree as you can with the Highgear. Overall both pieces are extremely impressive and really make a great argument against spending more money for a comparable suunto or Casio product. Now the question is which one to wear?

I'll try to do another write up when I've had a chance to play with the technical aspects more.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
EDIT....oops, I just read the last sentence of your post. Well, I'll leave my questions here anyway... O0

Great descriptions on a pair of watches I would just walk right by yet would be missing some good stuff for a fair price.

A few questions....

What's the diameter on these?

How's the backlight in brightness and duration? Any auto feature?

Ever do any accuracy tests?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nhoJ said:
What's the diameter on these?
these are rough estimates, but I'd say about 45/46mm on the Nike and about 44 on the Highgear. The Highgear is longer lug to lug, while the nike has the same diameter all around.

nhoJ said:
How's the backlight in brightness and duration? Any auto feature?
lighting is electroluminescent in both. both are very bright and glow green. Neither has an automatic lighting option. both trigger the light by pressing the center button.

nhoJ said:
Ever do any accuracy tests?
Not formal ones, but I do set them all to the same time during DST change, right down to the second, and by the next time DST rolls around, they are usually just a handful of seconds apart.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Isthmus said:
Not formal ones, but I do set them all to the same time during DST change, right down to the second, and by the next time DST rolls around, they are usually just a handful of seconds apart.
Sorry...I meant on the ABC functions. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh those, yeah they are dead on, but they are not synced to a source, so they require calibration before you can reasonably rely on them. I find the Nike to be slightly more accurate and it's user interface is easier to read.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts