The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i would love some input...i am considering one of these...do they just fit the skx?..have you ever seen one for the 6309?...anyone willing to share pics of their mods?...thanks in advance John

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If this is the look you are after the conversion does the job well. I am pretty sure it is an easy fit as I have bought Jakes watches and a stack of custom parts over the years and they have all been good quality.

A couple of members have carried out the conversion and if you do a search 'Dagaz superdome crystal conversion' there are a couple of relevant topics by MartinCRC and mrwozza70.

It is a SKX only conversion but why not email Jake if you have any technical questions, he has been friendly and helpful to be in the past.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thank you..i will drop him a email...i seen the conversion by martincrc and mrwozza70..that is how i got interested...

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If I was going to do another SKX based custom diver I think I would go for it, the Superdome conversion floats my boat and helps to elevate just another custom watch up to another level imo.

Domed crystals (double domed) give the dial a little emphasis and lend a vintage dive watch look, thats why I used to use J. Koch's Bubbleboys so much with 6309 customs, with the right dial (dials with the minute track printed on the dial and a plain chapter ring) they can look great.

Only draw back is slight distortion and reflections.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with:93:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it should be very unique for sure and i hope it is something Swedefreak would have liked too...

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
If I was going to do another SKX based custom diver I think I would go for it, the Superdome conversion floats my boat and helps to elevate just another custom watch up to another level imo.

Domed crystals (double domed) give the dial a little emphasis and lend a vintage dive watch look, thats why I used to use J. Koch's Bubbleboys so much with 6309 customs, with the right dial (dials with the minute track printed on the dial and a plain chapter ring) they can look great.

Only draw back is slight distortion and reflections.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with:93:
They do look different, novel, but I much prefer the original crystal or a 6105 domed crystal.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that looks great

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I'm not sure I can add much to what has already been said but the only concern I might have concerns the amount of chamfer that is visible between the crystal and the bezel. The concern assumes the SKX dome kit does not fit the 6309. I have a couple of Jonathan's bubble boy crystals on my 6309's and they look great with minimal exposed chamfer. That plus you have that many more bezel inserts to choose from. The only decision you are left with is just how much of a dome and resultant distortion can you live with?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys, just a quick question. About how long after you order a custom watch from Jake at Dagaz does it take to be made? I ask because I ordered a custom Typhoon Tll over a month ago and I am curious.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did and got kind of a generic response "I will be back in shop after the 7th devoting full time to custom orders" so not much help there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to add, I think he does amazing work and I really want that watch in my collection!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had good results with a cheap dome from cousins uk. It cost about £3 instead of £30, which was ideal because I was sure I was going to break it. I went for a flat base dome because I wanted the distortion which you get a lot less of with a double dome.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
citizen crystals will fit too...did not know that...thanks for that info too

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If you want a scratched up glass - go for a domed one:undecided:

Any customer of mine who wants one I aim to put them off - mainly on that fact.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well it will not be used every day...so being scratched is not a huge concern...but thanks for info too...they are a bit more fragile

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The Dagaz superdome is sapphire so I wouldn't be worried about it scratching.

The crystal and insert are a flush fit on the Dagaz kit -

More details about it here - http://www.thewatchsite.com/20-mod-restoration-reviews-how-i-modded-restored-my-watch/92418-dlc-d-superdomed-skx-mod.html
Precisely, Jakes's superdome kit for the SKX series addresses that "problem" with the beveled insert. My concern was based on the assumption that Jake's kit would not work on the 6309. Exquisite mod btw...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts