The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first vintage love was for Tissots and I picked up this hand winding early 70s example last week. The Tissot 872 is based on a Lemania 1277, as is the famous Omega 861 of Speedmaster fame.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421496607.287393.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421496708.329133.jpg

It needs a service and a new crystal if one can be found. I set about cleaning up the case before I hand it over to my watch guy.

I'm used to the Seiko pusher system but this one is different. My question is, having cleaned up the components, would a little silicone grease be appropriate when reassembling the pushers or should they go back together dry?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421496577.833150.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421496591.204558.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Is their any type of rubber o ring on the pusher? Is the watch rated for any water resistance at all? If it has a o ring on the pusher some type of lubricant should be applied to the rubber. If it has no rating and no o ring in the case or on the pusher I would at least lightly oil and surfaces that rub together and a tiny amount of oil on the spring to prevent rust.

Michael

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael. There is no o-ring. The seal is provided by the head of the brass screw on the inside of the case.

It goes together like this - spring into chamber from the outside of the case. Pusher over the top of the spring. Pusher slots into the knurling on the outside of the 'pendant' tube to stop it rotating. Screw through the case from the inside into the pusher.

I guess the water resistance depends on the quality of the two surfaces where the underside of the screw head meets the inside if the case. Pretty minimal I guess. There are no water resistance ratings on the watch - but that is common to the other PR branded Tissots I've had from the era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Yeah it sounds like it was not means for use near water. If it was me just a lite coating of a heavier oil like Mobious on the spring and where the pusher rubs on the case. I have been looking into getting a Tissot for a while. I like their designs.

Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts