The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, first post, please take it easy.

Has Seiko ever mad a 40mm with the crown at 4:00 and circular lume plots? What is that model number?

I have been looking for a 40mm Seiko diver and am confused due to all of the differing sizes posted by vendors. I can't seem to find the size measurements on Seiko's website either.

I have a 6.5" wrist and believe that 43mm will be too large but have read comments that the SKX013 might be too small. My personal watch sweet spot is 39 to 40mm.

I emailed a vendor asking questions about sizes, this is what I was told.

SKX013 is the old mid-sized at 38mm.
SKX173 is the new mid-sized at 40mm.
SKX007 is the standard size at 43mm.

When I questioned them asking for a comparison picture, I got a curt response that they measured them and that their measurements were correct.

I have been reading as many reviews and comparisons that I can google and most everyone says that the SKX173 and SKX007 are the exact same case, just a different dial. I prefer the circle to the square markers as it looks like classic Seiko to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Can't help you at all though I'm afraid. Someone will.

Personally I have about a 7" wrist... I used to think that only small watches would look good / feel right. But know I have tried a far few watches I am much more relaxed about it. Personal opinion of course, but if you are building up a collection maybe don't restrict yourself purely on size, you'll miss some gems that just could feel right, even if they are bigger. Anyway, I know where you coming from, good luck in your search and I'm sure someone will jump in to give you some sound advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand your thoughts. I was surprised that a Speedmaster did not look too big and actually fit well, being that it is 42mm. I have a couple of friends who wear 44mm watches and they just look out of proportion. I don't wand to look like I am wearing my father's watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As mentioned above the SKX007 is a great choice. Classic Seiko diver design and the size doesn't feel too big at all on my wrist (7 in). I have other 42mm divers that feel bigger.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Welcome!

You are correct that the SKX007 and the 173 are the same size.

It's always a good idea to try a watch on if you've never worn a particular piece. Depending on the case design, lug width, dial design, bezel, etc, watches can wear "big" or "small." The difference in appearance and feel between two watches with the same case width can be pretty dramatic. It also depends on your particular wrist shape. Go to a shop with a big selection and have some fun trying things on. Personally, I think the 007/173 wears small for it's stated size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Skx007 should be available at most Seiko stockists. Why not go try one on for size before ruling it out.
I have never seen an SKX007 in a store. When I was searching for a diver I had to go all over the place to find anything. I ended up in a really fancy jewelers trying on $1000+ watches to see how a seiko might look on my wrist :) I have a 6 3/4" wrist and the skx007 looks great. It wears a lot smaller than some.

Of course I can't imagine there is much demand for divers in the landlocked American states.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have never seen an SKX007 in a store. When I was searching for a diver I had to go all over the place to find anything. I ended up in a really fancy jewelers trying on $1000+ watches to see how a seiko might look on my wrist :) I have a 6 3/4" wrist and the skx007 looks great. It wears a lot smaller than some.

Of course I can't imagine there is much demand for divers in the landlocked American states.
The SKX007 is not a US model.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
For me personally 42mm watches are the sweet spot. I am just as happy to go down to 40mm or even 38mm. It all really depends on the watch like others have mentioned. Although I only weight 175 pounds at just under 6 feet tall my wrist measurement at the very end were it is almost all bone is still 8 inches. I can only move the watch up about 1 1/2 inches up and then I run into my popeye muscles of my forearms. Working as a mechanic and lots of manual labor when I was younger left be with huge wrist bones and shovel like hands.
That is the one huge advantage for me if I am buying a diver watch because most come with a nice huge rubber strap so they always fit comfortably.
I have bought many beautiful older Seiko's only to discover links have been removed and some are small enough that I can not even get the watch over my hand let alone buckled. I guess that's why I always buy any lot of broken Seiko watch bands I find.
Something to keep in mind to when diver watch shopping. They are the one type of watch that look good with a rubber strap NATO strap or even a SS bracelet though I don't think they right on most divers. The choice of band could make the watch wear much different also. Something to keep in mind.

Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts