The Watch Site banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fixing a Movado from early 80's with the ETA 959.001. When a got it, it didn't run. I tested the circuit coil and it was bad. I took it apart, inspected all the jewel holes, train, and all looks fine except that when moving the train back and forth and felt a bit rough. I compared it with a running Rhonda and train also felt same. So I figured it was ok, but just to play it safe I purchased a main plate on eBay. Inspected it a looks fine. I cleaned it and oiled it. I also purchased a brand new circuit coil. Assembled it, I brushed all the circuit contacts, baterry contacs, tested the battery, which was ok. No where in the assembly I touched anything with bare fingers. I always use cots. I tested the circuit with the battery on and I tested the circuit giving me the reading of .13 with 4 second intervals of a reading of 4.29 and then 4 seconds and then 0, to then got back to .13 set with volt meter set at 10.00 k ohms. After all this watch doesn't run. Are the readings correct? Is there a possibility that I got a new faulty circuit? is the train supposed to feel silky smooth? I figured that the roughness if the train feels rough from the magnetism of the stepper moto . Is that a correct assumption? Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry that I can't assist you vrudy6 ....lets see what the other members can come up with and you can also try the forum "Watch Repair Talk "...and of course there are others .
Lets hope another member here can shed some light on this for you . Good Luck.

·
Registered
845 Posts
This might help you: http://www.primrosesupplies.com/Swiss Tech Guides/Omega tech Guides/1377.pdf

Resistance when manually moving the train is normal...the amount depends on where you are trying to move the train...the cause overcoming the magnetic force to move the two-pole rotor.

You don't say what kind of test equipment you are using. Also, is the coil good? Does your test equipment indicate that the movement is generating a "pulse"? If it is generating a pulse and not moving, you have a train blockage. If no pulse, then battery/circuit/coil is the direction to evaluate.

Make sure the battery is installed correctly (+ down/ - up)...and the cell strap is not shorting. Where the cell strap is secured is particularly annoying with this movement...insulators and strap have to be the correct ones. Also, battery must be exact height specified on the strap.

Hope that helps, BG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts