The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my first post here
I want to remove the movement from citizen cosmotron 7803 to polish the case and change the crown
the watch has monocoque body, with removal from the glass side.
I managed to remove the bezel and glass, but failed to remove stem

sweephand offered this instruction
“1) Pull crown out to farthest position, that will swing lever out into exposed position
2) Push down on lever while pulling on the crown / stem”
but it didn't work neither for me or for him. I tried pressing different directions while pulling on the crown with no results.

any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
From the tech sheet:

There should be a tab next to the crown which is accessed from the dial side. With the crown in the run position, you push down on this tab to remove the dial. In other models I have found other such tabs to be damaged...so this can be a challenge, even when following the instructions. See page from 0875 attached...tech sheet for 7803 doesn't show the tab.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the tech sheet:

There should be a tab next to the crown which is accessed from the dial side. With the crown in the run position, you push down on this tab to remove the dial. In other models I have found other such tabs to be damaged...so this can be a challenge, even when following the instructions. See page from 0875 attached...tech sheet for 7803 doesn't show the tab.
Thank you.
this doesn't seem right, as it refers to ecodrive movement, while I have electro-mechanical Cosmotron watch. (not the first time I notice different movements with the same nr for Citizen) I would post a picture but I don't have enough posts here to do so. There's no such lever in the Cosmotron.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The first page I posted was for your 7803...the second was from the 0875 tech sheet. The 7803 tech sheet mentions the part for disengaging the stem, but doesn't show it. I'm speculating that Citizen used something similar to the 0875 in the 7803.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first page I posted was for your 7803...the second was from the 0875 tech sheet. The 7803 tech sheet mentions the part for disengaging the stem, but doesn't show it. I'm speculating that Citizen used something similar to the 0875 in the 7803.
the first page has text about solar battery. so it's definitely some other movement, not the Cosmotron 7803 from 1972.
I have checked the watch and found no tab, similar to the one on 0875 tech sheet

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like you are getting the exact same advice on sweep-hand.org
If that lever is not swinging out perhaps it needs to be gently teased out? Not to surprising that any spring action may be lost after almost 45 years in a compressed position.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you are getting the exact same advice on sweep-hand.org
If that lever is not swinging out perhaps it needs to be gently teased out? Not to surprising that any spring action may be lost after almost 45 years in a compressed position.
Yes, you are right, Stephen was the first I addressed with my problems.
I tried forcing the lever out (not full force, of course), but with no results
I'm thinking, maybe I need to pull it up? if the movement is the same for monocoque and regular cases, it could be so.

·
Registered
844 Posts
First, I know the sheet I posted is from a 0875 Eco Drive. I posted this because the part is shown on this sheet, but not shown on the 78xx tech sheets. The 78xx bulletin covers all the 78xx series. Some of these are EcoDrive. Please see attached from the 78xx tech sheet and note language referring to part 069-XX. This is the lever you are looking for...but it is not depicted on the parts sheet. I don't believe you pull the stem to the quickset or set position...or that any thing "pops" out. Lever is likely on the movement plate and can be approached with tweezers or a knife blade through the gap between the dial and case. From the front, you'll apply pressure toward the back...this should lever and and actually push the set lever toward you to release the stem. Frequently these have been buggered by mishandling...so good luck.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
First, I know the sheet I posted is from a 0875 Eco Drive. I posted this because the part is shown on this sheet, but not shown on the 78xx tech sheets. The 78xx bulletin covers all the 78xx series. Some of these are EcoDrive.
I think I went through this caliber confusion a few years ago when trying to find info on one of these 7803's. They have nothing to do with the movements you show in the tech guide, seemingly Citizen re-used caliber numbers in some cases. The 7803 in question is a balance-wheel electronic watch from 40-some years ago. Regardless, I guess this is yet another case (especially without photos) where we can't fix it over the Internet! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, Cosmotron is the model I'm talking about.
But unlike the one in your attached picture, mine has a different case. it has only battery and adjustment hatches on the back, and opens from the front, by removing bezel and glass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
now, when I've reached 5 posts count, I can finally add a photo

so the best guess is I should use the yellow lever at 18 minutes. But how?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think you may actually be pulling part number 205 towards the dial to release. See attached.

If you send a higher resolution image from the angle indicated by the arrow, this may be able to be confirmed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
That can turn out to be a very nice cosmotron :) My first thought would be to pull the stem in the hands setting position, (or in the position when the lever protrudes the most) then carefully push the brass colored lever you see left of the stem in your second picture, pushing with a screw driver in the indentation you see, push down towards the back of the movement while pulling the stem.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Slightly off topic, where did you get the replacement crown from? I have a 7803 Cosmotron coming and it apparently has a worn crown as well. :(.
Not sure yet if mine will be a 'front out' watch it's this one:-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Slightly off topic, where did you get the replacement crown from? I have a 7803 Cosmotron coming and it apparently has a worn crown as well. :(.
I bought a NOS crown at Yahoo Japan auction. There's "natunokumo18" with lots of parts, and some other sellers. Rather pricey, should I say.
Stephen from sweep-hand.org helped me to identify the correct part nr. for the watch

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so, I tried again with "pushung down towards the back of the movement while pulling the stem" with applying more force and got it out.
I really hope this was the right thing, and I didn't just ripped it out with excessive force.
Thanks everyone. A few more pics of the movement around the stem from new angles

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Well done! Well the "worst" what could have happened is that the keyless works have to be repositioned, requiring the hands and the dial and the calendar works to be removed. But it seems you haven't used excessive force, so re-inserting the stem should work :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I bought a NOS crown at Yahoo Japan auction. There's "natunokumo18" with lots of parts, and some other sellers. Rather pricey, should I say.
Stephen from sweep-hand.org helped me to identify the correct part nr. for the watch
Many thanks for the info, my watch is currently winging it's way from Texas. :grin: When it arrives, probably early next week, I'll have a better idea of what is needed to restore it. Checked out the pictures and am glad to say it hasn't got a monocoque case so should be much easier to remove the movement and tidy up the case and crystal, only mechanical problems are 'supposed' to be a 'worn crown' and a sticky 8 o'clock push button.
John.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts