The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to not to make this more complicated than necessary but I do need to spell out the facts.

Item shown on bid site as model 6119-7083 and the case back shows same. Thought something was fishy when I saw the movement was 6117B. The Seiko calculator authenticates the model and serial number, but of course that doesn't mean the case back belong ON THIS WATCH. Am I correct in that the movement number must always be the leading 4 digits of the model number on the case back?? Please confirm on this and if there are any exceptions.

Searched and searched until I found a pic of an example of the model number referenced on the case back on this site and it is nothing like the item on the bid site. Obviously, I'm getting out of the bidding process. I also found a pic of a 6117-6419 on a bid site that is identical (excepting second hand, and there is no navigator/timer hand on the fake).

The pics of the real 6119-7083 are from an experienced, authoritative source on this site and therefore I am confident the bid site item purporting to show that model is simply wrong. Just for added assurance, if anyone has definitive pics of a 6117-6419 and/or a 6119-7083, please feel free to post them to help further.

Thanks again to the knowledge base on this site being THE authority on all things Seiko. Thank for saving me money, time and aggravation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,973 Posts
I had a butchers at the auction and it appears to me that the Navi-timer has the wrong caseback. By the general feel of the description and look of the clean condition of the caseback possibly the watch is a parts draw special.

It is a 6117-6419 with the wrong caseback more than anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, thank you for the confirmation. It was your posting and pic that helped me identify the culprit!! Thanks. You guys do such great work. There are some things I'm not such a purist about as I simply enjoy owning vintage Seikos. But the wrong caseback and serial number (which also happened to me at one of the overseas restoration "mills/factories" is over the top - not acceptable. When I mentioned the discrepancy to the overseas restorer (loosely termed), he responded by saying "oh, sorry, no problem, I'll just put another caseback on it". When I said no way and requested a refund, he reluctantly agreed and then blocked my future bids as if I would intentionally buy anything from him anyway (and I was dealing with the owner/watchmaker). Otherwise, I have actually had an excellent experience with most all the overseas sellers although I'll agree it can be a crapshoot. I buy on the forum whenever possible, but, not to mention any names, I have actually had one problem here - seller had bracelet I paid a premium for displayed off the watch, which I didn't think anything about at the time as I thought it was just for visual purposes. When it arrived, the unique, almost impossible to locate bracelet which would have added probably a 30% premium measured about a goodly 5.5 inches/14 cm. Wow - unusable unless your a toddler. No expansion links possible - replacement bracelet about $75 USD. I didn't push it but not super nice.

Not to be jaded or cynical bevcause 99% of those I've dealt with are gracious and wonderful. The other 1% I could pinch!! LOL
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top