The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I've been looking around for my first 1970s Seiko for not so long, so it is with a mixed feeling that I came across this yellow UFO ...

The positive side is that I find it a really gorgeous piece, combining the "futuristic" case with a psychedelic dial; the down side is that I've seen way too few of them to have the guts to take a decision on authenticity/coherence.

So here I am, hoping to get advice from the more experienced.

It's a Seiko Automatic 6106-6439 from May '51, with a yellow "resist" dial, with code - 6459T. Comparing it with the US 1969 catalogue all seems to check (hands slightly thicker than the maroon version, faded red/orange sweep hand, even the razor bracelet). Case has its age and seems to have had a rather rough polish at some point in the past (any irreversible harm done?); the dial and inner bezel, on the contrary, are in good shape (too good compared to the case?)

Here are pics of dial and case: should I go on and start a conversation with the seller (price seems high to my optimistic eye)?

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Watch Clock Body jewelry Natural material Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

·
Craftsman
4,267 Posts
I'd have to agree. Original and in very nice condition!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all, it's reassuring, as I was wondering if the case needed some attention, so as to be more in line with the dial.

Let's see if I can find a way to mitigate customs as the watch is in the UK ...

Will keep you posted :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: no way for me to skip customs, so if anyone here is able to buy it in the UK, go for it!
I'll wait for the next "continental" one to pop up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
even though I let this one go to another wrist, I'd have one additional question: markings on this ( resist, 17 jewels etc.) dial are in black, but I've seen other dials having them in a bright green, matching the bezel ...

Since I understand this model was in production for only a couple of years and not reissued as a 6119, this rings a alarm bell for me ... what do you think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts