The Watch Site banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I've saved a few crowns by soaking them in a solution of water/alum powder. It doesn't react with the stainless crown, but will dissolve the remaining piece of stem. It takes a while (I usually let it set 2-3 weeks). In the past when I've shared this, some have expressed doubt, but it has worked for me on multiple occasions.

You just need a small container or jar (I usually use an old film canister). Use warm water and mix in alum powder (from the spice section at any grocery store) until you can't get it to dissolve anymore. Add your crown and let it soak. When done I usually try to get some of the rust/ grime out with a needle, then run the stem in finger tight a few times, wiping it off in between to help clean out the threads. The I just let it dry completely and it's good to go.

On a side note for future readers, this doesn't work if the stem is stainless. This should be obvious, but...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.