The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, would someone be able to tell me the best or should I say easiest way to remove a broken stem out of a crown. Someone very kindly broke it on my 6139 6002 and put it back in the box.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you want to send it to me I will always try and get it out for you. I work on clocks so have a lot of small tools that might do the job. Won't charge you a bean except I'd ask you pay the postage. That said you might have trouble getting a new stem too! As John says give Seiko superman Stefan aka seikochrono a shout as he's your best bet for NOS.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you want to send it to me I will always try and get it out for you. I work on clocks so have a lot of small tools that might do the job. Won't charge you a bean except I'd ask you pay the postage. That said you might have trouble getting a new stem too! As John says give Seiko superman Stefan aka seikochrono a shout as he's your best bet for NOS.
Thanks for the kind offer,if Stefan cant help I may just take you up on it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
No prob just message me for address and bung it in the post. Hopefully stefan can help but I think those are hard to get hold of as he couldn't supply me with the stem a few weeks ago. I know he's had a nice fat delivery since though so good luck!

·
Special Member
6,537 Posts
If your hunt for a genuine Seiko OEM fails, I have it in genuine vintage NOS aftermarket in both silver and gilt. Cheap, as always.

No luck on the stem though, this one takes a 2-parter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've saved a few crowns by soaking them in a solution of water/alum powder. It doesn't react with the stainless crown, but will dissolve the remaining piece of stem. It takes a while (I usually let it set 2-3 weeks). In the past when I've shared this, some have expressed doubt, but it has worked for me on multiple occasions.

You just need a small container or jar (I usually use an old film canister). Use warm water and mix in alum powder (from the spice section at any grocery store) until you can't get it to dissolve anymore. Add your crown and let it soak. When done I usually try to get some of the rust/ grime out with a needle, then run the stem in finger tight a few times, wiping it off in between to help clean out the threads. The I just let it dry completely and it's good to go.

On a side note for future readers, this doesn't work if the stem is stainless. This should be obvious, but...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I was all sorted got the crown and stem proceeded to trim and fit put together all good, then checked I could change day and date all good, went to turn bezel No good. In my haste being impatient got the wrong stem so now still on the look out for a new stem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts