The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys I need a hand to date this Citizen Speedy I can't quite put it together.

And do you think It needs restoring or just a movement service, as far as I am aware the movement has never been serviced but still runs very well.

Thanks Heaps
Mark

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
From what I have read it's either 76 or 86 as the serial number system is basically the same as the Seiko system. The first two numbers of the serial are Year and then Month. So 6th year and 10th month aka October. You just need to know the decade that style of watch was made during.

Hope that is of some help to you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For the serial number, 6 means 1976 (this caliber was made only in the 70s).

The following two numbers, 09, mean month 09, so is September.

This watch was made in September, 1976.

The rest is the serial number.

·
Registered
189 Posts
From what I have read it's either 76 or 86 as the serial number system is basically the same as the Seiko system. The first two numbers of the serial are Year and then Month. So 6th year and 10th month aka October. You just need to know the decade that style of watch was made during.

Hope that is of some help to you.
With Citizen you have to extract two numbers for the month. They don't use O, N, D, for the last three months. They use just numbers. So first number is the year and two following are the number of the month.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Brilliant info Mr McNulty sir! I'm yet to get a Citizen collection together as I only own two but that's dead handy information thanks!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Others have answered your question, but that is a beautiful example! I've got an 8100 that's in pretty sad shape. The dial has some pretty deep scratches and it's just waiting in my watch box for some TLC. I may have undertaken more projects than I can realistically complete! :grin:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Citizen Speedy

Many thanks for that,

Cheers
Mark

For the serial number, 6 means 1976 (this caliber was made only in the 70s).

The following two numbers, 09, mean month 09, so is September.

This watch was made in September, 1976.

The rest is the serial number.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all appreciate it.

Mark

·
Registered
912 Posts
Others have answered your question, but that is a beautiful example! I've got an 8100 that's in pretty sad shape. The dial has some pretty deep scratches and it's just waiting in my watch box for some TLC. I may have undertaken more projects than I can realistically complete! :grin:
Yeah, too many projects here too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts