The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I like digital watches and have owned Casios in the past. I even owned a G many moons ago. Other than handling g's from time to time, I really can't say that I know much about them other than:

1. I generally like their construction
2. I find most of their displays a bit small and busy; and
3. I find most to be too tall relative to their diameter.

with that in mind, I'm interested in finding a version of this style:

More specifically, I would love to find something in this general shape that has a larger diameter (like most modern watches), and if possible, not mounted on a rubber strap. I understand that this style harks back to the look of the original G's, but some of them have been re-don in recent years in larger the sizes prefered by today's watch wearers.

I'd like the case to be black, and I don't have a preference between a positive or negative display. I would like to remove the white paint where it says G-SHOCK and Shock Protection at the top and bottom of the screen, so I would love any tips any of you7 might have on doing that.

Lastly if the watch only comes on a rubber strap, any suggestions for alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
The Riseman GW9200 has a lot of features.
But from the look of the one you posted, you are probably looking for a more traditional one. I think the one in your pic is the GW5600BJ-1

I also find the Protreks/Pathfinder's amazing (and they do take any band), but they aren't technically G's.

Also, the GW7900B-1 is amazing.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Time. Yes I should have clarified that I was looking of one of the more traditionally styled G's. I'm not as big a fan of "surface excitement" on my digitals - if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That is a GW5600J in the picture. I bought that specifically for my father because it is slightly larger than the regular 5600 case and the digits are also larger. The display is also a lot cleaner than most other G Shocks. Many don't like that only the day or the date can be shown in the box and not both simultaneously.

A comparable is the GWM5600. This model is the next generation from the J as it has 6 band syncing. The GWM5600 is ever so slightly smaller than the 5600J and the display is a little different as well.

http://mygshock.com/wiki/GW-M5600

Here's mine...it has a green resin and a blue/green tinted display. I like this particular model because the strap does not taper like the basic black GWM5600 model.

There is a composite bracelet that fits the GWM5600. I am not completely certain that it will fit the 5600J. MAybe someone else knows and I can double check. The bracelet is popular and difficult to find. A place in the UK called tiktox is the best source.

http://www.tiktox.com/gwm5600bc-stealth-bracelet-p-2251.php

The G-5500 and GW-5500 may strike your fancy as they are square but the case and strap are larger then the 5600.

http://mygshock.com/wiki/GW-5500-1AJF

http://mygshock.com/wiki/G-5500

The paint on the resin is easy enough to remove. Just use a solvent called Goof Off. Remove the bezel. Dip a tooth brush in the goof off and just scrub the paint out. Most will come out in the first minute and the rest will take a little longer. Wash up in soap and water and let dry. You can leave it unpainted or add new paint. I use Testors model paint. Just paint it over the letters. Let the paint fill in the crevice and it will get on the surface of the case. Let dry and then wipe the case off with a cloth slightly damp with the goof off. Ta-Da.

http://www.goof-off.com/

You can also dye the resin. Just use Rit Dye. Its easier to go from light to dark for obvious reasons.

Here's a little project I did this winter on a basic DW6900. I painted the letters and also the frame over the digital display. Wasn't difficult at all.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Gabe, if you want the most uncluttered LCD then I think you won't escape a 5600 or 5500. I really like my Mudman, but I fear it's quite different from what you want:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Chris said:
Gabe, you should look into Spike Lee's version. It's the reissue of the DW-5000. The SL's model number is DW5000SL-1, here it is:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2008/10/spike-lee-gshock.jpg

Look for an ebay seller called 4-watches. I bought 2 G's with him, one of them being the SL. He's awesome prices and a wide range of models. He's a NY based seller.

CHRIS
Also, the SL's version has the screw down caseback, like the very first instalment of this watch. It's ultra cool. I love mine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Uncluttered would be a DW6600, but has a rubber strap. What it has going for it is being a durable, easy to read, simple to navigate the menus. The batteries last well beyond Casio's stated 2 years if you don't use the light and alarm for every little thing. The DW6600 is a classic and you can still find them without the red "G" in the back light.

The DW5600 is also a very good choice and you can always get Nato strap adapters if the rubber strap doesn't suit you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. How do the 5000SL's chris mentioned differ from the 5600J's mentioned by nohJ?

BTW those GW-5500's look like they would make for a very nice alternative.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gabe....perfect search starts here:

http://product-search.casio.jp/wat/g-shock/history.php

if you like the 5600 scroll through all the models....

Screwback is the design of the orginals and "collector" pieces... 5600C is a key piece in GShock land. As mentioned solar and atomic would be a must have for someone like yourself. The watch syncs each night with atomic clock. therefore it can be used to set all other timepieces.

there is a model that has the gshock bracelet -- GWM5600BC... it's negative display. bracelet tapers to 16mm I think. Very nice and one of the many I have.

Modding a G is possible with Goof Off and Testor paints..

The G Shock Wiki that Riley has put together is a great source of info.... http://mygshock.com/wiki/Main_Page

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm. lot to digest I see. I wonder what I'll be reading this weekend? ;D

Based on some of the input above I think I found a couple that might match my criteria. what do you think of these:

GW-5500-1JF:

and the GW-5500-1AJF:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Isthmus said:
Hmm. lot to digest I see. I wonder what I'll be reading this weekend? ;D

Based on some of the input above I think I found a couple that might match my criteria. what do you think of these:

GW-5500-1JF:

and the GW-5500-1AJF:

[img]

[img]

[img]
[/quote]

Gabe,

I totally forgot to mention....I also bought from my referred seller (4-watches @ebay) the first model in your post - GW-5500-1JF.

It's some kind of reissue/throwback to the original G-SHOCK II (DW5500), but with the updated module, with solar and radio tech. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it, too. My father gave me the G-SHOCK II as my Xmas present in 1988. It was a short run model, with the big red buttons, which was also re-released under the "beams" nickname, available in Japan.

IMHO, you should buy the 2 models (LOL!) - both the DW550SL-1 (for its original roots vibe) and the GW-5501JF (due to its heritage queues in design). I think you can't go wrong with both, if you're trying to stay close to the true G-SHOCK design lineage.

·
Registered
121 Posts
there is a fairly big difference in how the 5500 wears compared to the 5600.... anyone have a side by side..?? I flipped all my 5500's..

:-[

·
Registered
159 Posts
No side by side but the 5500 wears much bigger. Here is a real sleeper and can still be bought new fairly inexpensively.

a GW5525 Black Dawn.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DaveOBrien said:
No side by side but the 5500 wears much bigger. Here is a real sleeper and can still be bought new fairly inexpensively.
Hey Dave, I think this is the one I want to go with. I went to the wholesale district and paid a visit to one of the big G shock distributors. they had some versions of this watch, but they all had a shiny finish. You mentioned finding them inexpensively. Can you recommend some sources?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts