The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"The Prospector"
4,691 Posts
There should be arrows on the reverse side showing which way the link pin comes out. Its as well too note which way you remove them, for re installation. As too how much force, in my limited experience, it depends how much rust or crud is on the link pin. I have had some that come out easily with a link pin remover, and others i have had too take a small hammer to and gently tap them out.

·
Super Moderator
3,142 Posts
That link design takes a special type of pliers for best results, the inserts are pushed out with the asymetrical jaws.

I've seen evidence of people trying to size these with improper tools at hand, and invariably they make a mess of things- scratching and gouging the links in the process.

·
Administrator
33,229 Posts
Looking at your bottom picture use a screw driver that fits in the hole at the top and then push upwards as per picture.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Looking at your bottom picture use a screw driver that fits in the hole at the top and then push upwards as per picture.
Yep, me too but I use a small pointy thing that came in the screwdriver kit. Once the inner link pin has been moved you may have to grab the end with a pair of pliers (smooth jawed) to fully extract it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all. I've tried pushing the pin with a screwdriver but to no avail. Might just take it to a Seiko store.

·
Special Member
2,985 Posts
You need something very pointed - I sharpened an old pentalobe screwdriver to a point- use a little downward pressure too- you nee to press in the hole just below(in the pic) the 'button' it will go

·
Special Member
7,479 Posts
This is Step #1 to learn to be a watch wizard. I suggest you take on the challenge - you will be successful !

Get a pointed object/tool as per postings above and as per Mike?Polly just move it enough to grab with pliers.

It is rewarding and then you are on your way to becoming a DIY watch repair guy !

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes as above, I had a similar bracelet on a new Citizen Chronograph I bought about a year ago, got the "Jeweller" to shorten the band, needed to remove another link about a week ago, and discovered how he dealt with the matter, prised the ends of the lugs up to get the raised dot out, "Butcher" I had no trouble pushing them out with the side of a screwdriver blade.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yes as above, I had a similar bracelet on a new Citizen Chronograph I bought about a year ago, got the "Jeweller" to shorten the band, needed to remove another link about a week ago, and discovered how he dealt with the matter, prised the ends of the lugs up to get the raised dot out, "Butcher" I had no trouble pushing them out with the side of a screwdriver blade.
When we see how jewelers mangle watches, it makes me wonder how they do with something intricate like a diamond setting!
Guess it's a good thing most folks don't have loupes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts