The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time posting here but been lurking for a while.

I've intended to acquire a Seiko 6105-811x for some time, looking at the bay and other websites most seem to be north of 1k usd and with risk of aftermarket parts/fakes, but I have found the example below with a fellow watch collector friend who is asking $800 usd for it.

Service history is unknown, dial and hands look correct to me, there is a bit of corrosion on the hands and black goo on the dial, date window looks correct, the S in Seiko looks a bit bend, maybe it was damaged in a previous service?

Bezel insert looks either aftermarket or it was repainted during servicing, has some scratchs/dings, the bezel itself has a ding on one side but not too noticieable and I believe adds carachter to the watch, it turns bidirectionally with little play.

Crystal looks original and has lots of scratches and has a small chip on one side, probably caused by the same impact that made the mark on the bezel.

Case back looks correct to me and watch seems to be from July 74'.

Movement is a 6105B, however it doesnt hack when crown is pulled out so its either missing the lever or it is a 6105A with the plate of a B, there seems to be a bit of corrosion/dirt in the movement as well. According to my friend it keeps a solid +-15S given its unknown service history.

The crown looks original with 6-8 teeth but the lock mechanism doesnt work.

I'd like to confirm with you if what I assessed above is correct and if I should be considering anything else, also if it is indeed a good example/oportunity what should I consider restoring other that the mandatory movement service/gasket replacement.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,

Fernando

Attachments

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Very quickly. Rather a lot for a watch in need of quite a bit of attention imo.

I will come back in more detail tomorrow but others will chime in hopefully. The particular worry is the ground down balance bridge which indicates either a loose oscillating weight for the automatic winding or worse (very bad) worn bearings on the framework that is stamped 6105B.

The logo has seen some damage but can be gently bent back into shape. The hands need reluming to suit the dial or an overall relume maybe...If the hands were looking better, particularly the missing lume along with a restored seconds hand then it might look 100 times better. New crystal and so on...case looks like it's worn down particularly the caseback and the lugs looks brushed but shiny either due to considerable wear or some polishing. I wonder what lurks beneath the crystal as a result of the damaged S in Seiko and how much the brass debris will have hurt the movement overall.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I don’t see a stud screw- either the head is broken off or the entire screw is missing. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the orange paint in the engravings means the balance bridge isn’t original to the 6105 movement- it likely came from an early 6119 or 6106.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your inputs, better stay clear of this one and keep hunting for a better example.

Regards

Fernando

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If you could get it for a good deal the dial and hands could turn out great. It may also be that the balance cock has been installed into that movement from a donor where it was already worn... If it was "project watch money" I'd see it as a great thing to attempt to restore..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts