The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am pulling my hair out over a 7S26 rebuild.
Movement was stripped and cleaned, including removal, cleaning and re-oiling main spring.
All parts seemed to go back as they should but it is now not running. With the balance and pallet fork removed I can turn the mainspring with a screw driver but the various wheels do not turn. The mainspring also feels stiffer than usual.
The third and fourth and escape wheels are all meshed and turn easily so they are located correctly in their jewels. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Firstly, dont pull your hair out, it gets into the movement and stops it dead, youll also go bald:grin:

Secondly im no expert, i just tinker.

If your winding it with the second reduction gear and lever arm pawls still in situ, it will feel a little stiffer to wind.
When i get a movement that does this to me, i strip it back down then assemble it fitting only on component at a time. I.e I fit the mainspring then the bridge and check the mainspring is rotating freely, then off with the bridge and fit the center wheel then fit the bridge and check that the mainspring barrel and center wheel rotate, then the ditto with the third wheel and then the fourth wheel and finally the escapement.
If its all turning freely then fit the ratchet wheel to the mainspring arbor and give the mainspring 1 turn.
When fitting each component check for side and end play.
If their is a problem with the dial side then the center wheel or fourth wheel will feel a little stiff to turn.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hi, I am pulling my hair out over a 7S26 rebuild.
Movement was stripped and cleaned, including removal, cleaning and re-oiling main spring.
All parts seemed to go back as they should but it is now not running. With the balance and pallet fork removed I can turn the mainspring with a screw driver but the various wheels do not turn.
Chris
Take the power off. Remove the autobridge and all of the dial side parts...strip back down to the basic movement and determine what is locked up. Did the movement run before you "serviced" it?

Always check the basic movement before completing reassembly and lubrication (and before cannon pinion is installed).

Regards, BG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts