The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had an attraction to this watch over the SKX007. What I'm not 100% sure of is why (apparently) the same watch has such a range of prices. Take for example this seller (no connection; not promoting though I'm a happy customer of this guy to be sure)

OK, IIRC the first one has non-solid links in the bracelet so it is the cheapest. The second one comes with SELs (Super Oyster) and an extra rubber strap, while the third has a different bracelet (2 & 3 are within $10 of each other) while the fourth one commands a premium of roughly $50 over number 2. Is it just the bracelet? And why does that last one command such a higher price?

I've owned this watch once along the way. I recall the version I had used a slightly more blue-ish dial, but it was a long time ago.

So fill me in, what's the story about this watch?

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,797 Posts
The design started life as the 7002-7020 and was carried over to the SKX171 with 7s26 movement.

7002-7020

It's also the base watch for the popular PMMM (poor man's marine master) mod.

Via M'iPhone & Tapatalk

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
I don't think any of those bracelets has SELs ( solid end links), the super oyster links are solid, but not the ends.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Just as an aside...I like the 7002 version better. I think the dial/bezel aesthetic looks better as date only.

How was the lume on the 7002-7020? On par with modern 7S version of the dial?

·
Craftsman
338 Posts
How was the lume on the 7002-7020? On par with modern 7S version of the dial?
The lume on these is no different to any of the 7002 divers in that it is pretty non-existent these days. Many of these watches are over 20 years old now.

I don't suppose that means a 7s26 movement would go in either generation 7002 diver does it?
I'm not sure if the 7s26 movement fits the 7002 case but if it does then the date will not line up with the dial due to the crown position. The 7002 has the crown at 4 and the 7s26 has the crown at 3.45.

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
I don't suppose that means a 7s26 movement would go in either generation 7002 diver does it?
Yes the 7s26 and its holding ring will physically fit into a 7002 case. The 7002 dial feet will align with the 7s26, and the 7002 crown & stem will fit.
As mentioned above, the date will not align, you will have to swop over the date wheels and im not sure if they are interchangeable.

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Yes the 7s26 and its holding ring will physically fit into a 7002 case. The 7002 dial feet will align with the 7s26, and the 7002 crown & stem will fit.
As mentioned above, the date will not align, you will have to swop over the date wheels and im not sure if they are interchangeable.
Isn't there also an issue that the dial will be on the piss by a few degrees?

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Isn't there also an issue that the dial will be on the piss by a few degrees?
One very tired 7002 dial, plus a spares 7s26 movement and a scrap 7002 case.

The 7002 dial feet align perfectly to the 7s26 and the 12 index aligns with the notch for the chapter ring which is bang on 12 o'clock and the stem also aligns
Its only the date that's out.

Wallah, a Franken is born. Egor fetch the hairspring Mwhahahaha

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Very cunning, I learn something new every day ( and usually forget about ten every week) :)

·
Administrator
33,860 Posts
Very cunning, I learn something new every day ( and usually forget about ten every week) :)
So it's not only me ? :yahoo:

Thanks Ivor thats interesting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The design started life as the 7002-7020 and was carried over to the SKX171 with 7s26 movement.

7002-7020

It's also the base watch for the popular PMMM (poor man's marine master) mod.

Via M'iPhone & Tapatalk
Thanks, that was the one I had years ago. I remembered it as having only the date window - which I prefer.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
very cool...i have never had this model...looks very nice...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Dumb Question

Will a 7002 date wheel fit, function and look correct if mounted on a 7s movement fitted in a 7002 case with a 7002 dial?

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Will a 7002 date wheel fit, function and look correct if mounted on a 7s movement fitted in a 7002 case with a 7002 dial?
Thats the $64,000,000 question.
Ive never tried it because ive never wanted to put a 7s into a 7002.
On two of my mods ive used the 7009, they fit straight into the 7002, with a date wheel swap over every thing lines up and looks right.

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Well, I've had a shufty at the date wheels, and I can say that even if the 7002 wheel will physically fit - it won't make a jot of difference to the alignment. The numbers and teeth on the 7S26A/B and 7002 wheels are very close in alignment to each other.
However, I was reading a while ago, that the 7S26C date wheel numbers sit slightly lower on the wheel (vs the teeth). I looked at a picture of one, and I think it might well be the answer to the misalignment - albeit with the caveat that the date wheel jumper may need a slight "optimization" :)
Here's a fantastic site with a 7005 vs 7s26A comparo, so you can see the numbers vs teeth alignment are very similar on both. http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/seiko7005/s7005.html
This is another interesting 7S26B take-apart, in the vein of Nicholas Hacko's.
It shows the slightly lower alignment of the "C" spec wheel's numbers vs tooth. http://q-m.org/2012/11/10/seiko-watch-movement-part-3/

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
To the OP, it seems im hijacking your thread, and i apologize most profoundly.
However this might be of value to you.
Curiosity killed the cat, and i have transplanted a 7002 date wheel into a 7s26 with limited results.
The 7s has a plastic date wheel, and date finger (the bit that engages with the teeth on the date wheel and makes it revolve), the 7002 has a metal date wheel and date finger.
The plastic 7s date finger engages the 7002 date wheel and then dives under the tooth of the 7002 date wheel, some tweeking/bending of the 7s finger was required before it would engage properly, but being plastic it soon reverted back to its original position and only worked a few times.

Secondly, the date wheel jumper on the 7s is very thin steel plate as opposed to the 7002 which is flat spring steel, the 7s jumper either rides over or under the date wheel and wont engage correctly between the teeth to lock the wheel in the correct position.
Tweeking will resolve this but its a very fine tweek due to the jumper being so thin.

Conclusion

The skx 171 is a handsome looking watch but it has a 7s movement which IMHO is inferior to the 70xx movement due to, too many plastic parts and cost saving ultra thin metal parts. Again IMOH The 7002 7020 is a superior watch to the skx171 and is on my list of wants.
It appears the 7s is the fourth generation of the 70xx but with cost cutting it isnt so good.

On another note, i have read (somewhere) that the 7s has a better power reserve than the 70xx, something to do with the mainspring.
The 7s mainspring barrel and arbor apparently fits into the 70xx without any problems, but thats an experiment for another day.

Egor, hit the light switch, its time to say goodnight, Mwahahahaha

·
Premium Member
2,070 Posts
Well, I've had a shufty at the date wheels, and I can say that even if the 7002 wheel will physically fit - it won't make a jot of difference to the alignment. The numbers and teeth on the 7S26A/B and 7002 wheels are very close in alignment to each other.
However, I was reading a while ago, that the 7S26C date wheel numbers sit slightly lower on the wheel (vs the teeth). I looked at a picture of one, and I think it might well be the answer to the misalignment - albeit with the caveat that the date wheel jumper may need a slight "optimization" :)
Here's a fantastic site with a 7005 vs 7s26A comparo, so you can see the numbers vs teeth alignment are very similar on both. http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/seiko7005/s7005.html
This is another interesting 7S26B take-apart, in the vein of Nicholas Hacko's.
It shows the slightly lower alignment of the "C" spec wheel's numbers vs tooth. http://q-m.org/2012/11/10/seiko-watch-movement-part-3/
Its not just about alignment, its also in the mechanics my friend.
EGOR hit that bloody light switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.