The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this little jewel as potential father/son project with my #1 - he's coming up on 10 years old, and will be doing those cool things that older kids get to do soon. When he saw me looking at it on thewatchcollector's ePay site, he commented on what he'd like to do to it if it was his... so I bought it without him knowing in hopes that he'll still be interested in the project.

Here's what arrived:
7S26-0010-07 by clair_davis, on Flickr
7S26-0010-02 by clair_davis, on Flickr
7S26-0010-09 by clair_davis, on Flickr
7S26-0010-04 by clair_davis, on Flickr
7S26-0010-03 by clair_davis, on Flickr

So... it's not perfect. Nothing from thewatchcollector is, but for <$20, I'm OK with that - have bought at least 10 projects from him over the last few years, and they're almost all good values.

The pros I see are: a decent crystal, nice bezel (no insert problems), case wabi is great, 200m WR capable, and that ridiculous movement runs... weak, but it runs.

The cons I see are: caseback is wrong (came on another watch I got from TWC at the same time... fits the gasket better than the 7546 caseback that was on it), hands, dial, and chapter ring are shot, second hand is incorrect, and I suspect that the crown is incorrect. Screws down, but pulls straight out of the watch. Seems way too small, too.

So, what I'd like to know is what ELSE is right or wrong with this before we start our project? I'd like to have a proper crown and caseback for this thing to help ensure water resistance. It's going to be a kid's watch, so it's going to take some abuse. I think he'll appreciate the automatic movement as a significant step above the quartz watch I got for him before (another old Seiko).

I have another movement incoming, with black day & date wheels in case we want to mix things up a bit there, and we may need the extra parts once I see what's going on in the movement.

I'd appreciate any knowledge and experiences with these mid-size watches, what I should watch out for, and other ideas to make it a great, bulletproof "real" watch for a good kid. Sources for replacement parts would be fantastic.

And just because I tinkered a bit already, I found out that the crown tube threads are the same as the 5.3mm and 6.0mm Rolex twinloc crowns, as well as some other odds and ends crowns I have sitting around.  Probably won't worry about that kind of upgrade until I find that the original crown is unobtanium, though.

Thanks!

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Well hello ... that is a nice little watch to start with....well you should post a wtb in the trading post...they are easy to find parts for....you should be able to find the parts here on the forum....i am a very big fan of the black day and date wheels too...for me...i would just clean and relume the hands...clean the dial and leave it be...of course all new gaskets and seals...and a very good cleaning too...and i would black out the numbers in the bezel too

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
here is one i just found online ...i know i would have loved a amazing watch like this...

Attachments

Reactions: 911flyer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that one looks great! I think these watches can clean up really nicely. I'm not sure what he will have in mind, but I'm going to let it be his project as much as I can and just be there with some guidance. If he wants to try cleaning the movement, we might even try that, but I'm kind of expecting to handle that myself. I'll keep my eyes on the sales section and put up a wtb when I've got enough posts.

Thanks!

Clair

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I don't see much rust on that movement so I would be willing to bet it just need to be taken down clean oiled and reassembled. The 7S26 movements really are pretty tough. You very rarely find any actual broken parts. They are a pretty simple design and easy to rebuild. Finding a 7S26-0010 case back might be a little harder but I would bet one of the other 7S26 powered diver case backs would fit. I'm not familiar with the 0010 case but I do have several 7S26-0040. one 7S26-0050 and one 7s26-0020. I don't know about what the parts interchangeability is with the 0010 model though.

Michael

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Michael,
That's good info. I'm hoping the movement will clean up nicely, I'm really tickled that it runs at all. I think a good cleaning will do the trick - fingers crossed. I've got some feelers out for case & crown parts, but I'm trying to keep this project from getting out of control... easier said than done, though. I'll see what's still available new, and keep trolling the 'bay for cheap donors.

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well Ramon Watch Collector on ebay...has some very nice watches and looks like you got one of them...myself i just got 7 watches coming from him...we all love him and deal with him for our parts needs...i can not wait to see your progress...we will help you in way we can...God Bless John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I bit the bullet and got the proper parts (crown/stem, caseback, and an original bracelet) incoming. They were more than I wanted to pay, but we'll focus the initial project on cleaning up & restoring what's already on the watch vs. replacing everything... well, replacing anything else. I've got a good stash of parts that we can play with, but I'm going to steer towards using what it came with first. At least now all of the bones will be right.

After studying photos on the internet for a while, I think the reason the stem pulls out is because it's way too short and isn't engaging the keyless. I took a pic of the crown/stem assembly that came with the watch next to a 7546 crown/stem that is too large to work on the SKX crown tube:
7S26-0010-10 by clair_davis, on Flickr
7S26-0010-11 by clair_davis, on Flickr

The small one came on this SKX... In the photos I saw, there should be a bunch more stem between the end of the tube on the crown and that little ridge on the stem just below the tube. Like a couple mm's more stem... I guess this crown/stem came off a much smaller but still waterproof watch that ran a 7S26, but I haven't verified that it actually fits the movement...

More to follow when we put a little elbow grease in to the case.

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well the right parts just make your life easier..and are well worth getting ..look forward to seeing what comes next

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Very nice but the correct case back would be an improvement, the one fitted is off of one of these:-

One of these, suitably sanitised, would be nice :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow, that caseback is crazy! I've never seen anything like that on a Seiko before. The 5800 watch is crazy, too... talk about 70's styling madness! I would love to have one of those, but would hate to restore one...

Speedtimerkollection had some parts for this project, so I've got them on the way. Proper CB, crown with stem, and a complete bracelet (to be held back as a surprise for later). Going to get the ultrasonic cleaner going tonight...

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well looks like it should be done soon....awesome...i so want one of those casebacks...if anyone has one available...let me know

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, yes - I'm reading and re-reading that one! Looks like a great resource! We'll probably take a lot of photos, go through the tutorial a few times, and take it nice and slow on this one. I've rebuilt a couple automatics before, but never a Seiko auto. I'm hoping that since this is a relatively simple movement, it will go well for us.

The ultrasonic treatment cleaned the case pretty well, but didn't free up the bezel. I've added a few drops of WD-40, and it seems to turn if I use a 3-pin caseback opener... lots of crud coming out. It' will go back in the ultrasonic again tomorrow...

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well some of those can be real stinkers to get clean..i have been cleaning a real seiko beads of rice for a few days...really nasty...the ultrasonic will get it all taken care of..you might have to remove the bezel to get it all

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I've changed the cleaner in the ultrasonic a couple times now, and the bezel is starting to turn a little better. Still really tough, but with leather work gloves I can turn it by hand... What's the proper way to remove this bezel? On my old 6309 and all the oyster-style rotating bezels I have, a case knife usually pops it up nicely. My 7546's usually have a little notch to pry up under, but this one doesn't appear to have any of those cues. I can just barely get the bezel started up, and I don't want to tweak this one by doing it wrong. Hints?

Thanks!

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well i am not sure...someone on here just did one similiar...i hope someone who has one chimes in....i will see if i can find anything out for you...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Managed to remove the bezel - it's retained just like the 7546 bezels... rubber o-ring for friction, with a click spring for uni-directional rotating. I think the o-ring is going to have to be replaced, the bezel is nearly impossible to turn even now that everything is squeaky clean. Not being able to turn the bezel takes some of the fun out of the watch, so I'll see what I can find to replace the o-ring with something from the stash. Pics of the nice clean parts once I get everything in one place.

Clair

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well great job getting it off..you should be able to get it working...a new seal will help for sure..please more pics too

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Last little update for now... all the goodies arrived, so I think I've now got a complete 0010 to work with. The proper crown is a great fit, and the correct caseback really makes the difference:

7S26-0010-12 by clair_davis, on Flickr

The lume on the dial just flaked off with a little bit of pressure, so we took the opportunity to repaint the dial:

7S26-0010-13 by clair_davis, on Flickr

I think for now we've got everything in place to start the resto-mod project, so I'll probably start a new thread to track that progress. Other than the basic repaint on the dial, #1 Son has polished the case a bit. Elbow grease and wet-or-dry sand paper in 600, 1200, and 1500 grits, followed by a bit of Cape Cod cloth gave some pretty nice results. He was certainly surprised, and that's half the fun. Pics of the case in the next thread...

Thanks for all the help & guidance, folks!

Clair

1 - 20 of 24 Posts