The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a second child alarmingly imminent. For my first child I wanted a fun, not too pricey birth-year watch with a design that rooted it firmly in the time it was made (rather than heirloom quality timeless elegance) to give him on his 18th.

Went with an original OM since they discontinued them the year he was born and it felt like a design that is quite 'of it's time'.

But how to follow that for the next one? I'd like something in the same bracket but not identical (not the new monster). I'd considered the orient blue mako but it's less fun, the design probably won't date as much (bit more timeless IMO) and they don't have serial numbers to date them. Probably don't want a 5 or sports logo.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What about a custom TST by Mr Tiger dude? He can also engrave the case back for you. Some thing blue for a boy :) Nobody else will ever have the same watch!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I would go with a SKX007 , possibly a classic workhorse in 18 years and a timeless style that will still appeal to everyone in the years to come.

Rob

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the inputs all - me and the wife decided on an SKX009. Seemed of a piece with the monster - colourful, practical and not too pricey to trust a possibly non-WIS 18 year old with!

·
Registered
695 Posts
It is a good choice. I was going to suggest both SKX007J and SKX009J, both on Seiko Oyster bracelet.

Btw, can you please write the link about John's custom TST watch? I am curious.

Thanks.

Capt. Serdal

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Since "not ven born yet" is a little too soon to figure out what style they will like so I would recommend also picking up a $50 Seiko 5 dress watch in case the diver is not their style when they make it to 18.

It may not be too late to do the same for your other child.

I would also recommend you contact the seller to make sure you get the correct serial number for birth month and date (or a at least year) as many grey market sellers on EBAY have a year or 2 or 3 old stock and the serial number of the watch you get may not be what you expect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts