Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I unexpectedly won this watch last night:

It is almost exactly like this model in the Seiko Museum:

Described by Seiko as:
"1924
First Seiko-branded Watch
The first Seiko branded watch. Before the year preceding the Great Kanto Earthquake (1923), Seikosha had produced watches with various brand names. After the Earthquake, Seikosha announced the "Seiko" brand, by pursuing a unified image and focusing the fundamental feature of the watches on its precision."

A similar watch is currently being offered on ebay for around 600 USD as a "WWII japanese army officer RARE PILOT WATCH SEIKO". Caveat emptor!

A Google image search turns up these more probable military issued versions, some with a star, some with an anchor, some with neither; all with 24-hour red lettering and 'Seiko" printed on the dial:

Many come mounted inside of a protective case:

But why is the one I bought branded 'Nation' instead of 'Seiko'?

One source claims:

"The company supplied the army in both an official capacity and also as the watch of choice for the Japanese man on the street, and by association the Japanese soldier. The Seiko Nation watch was small, reflecting Japan’s lack of natural resources within its borders. This relative lack of material resource was one of the factors in Japan’s interest in the northern provinces of China. That interest eventually led to the second Sino-Japanese war which lasted from 1937 until the end of WWII in 1945."

This seems to imply that Seiko used the 'Nation' branding during the phase of Japanese militarism from the mid 30s' through the end of the war on watches for the civilian market?

Any ideas?

:confused:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Well if that's a stork, it seems to be Seiko.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here you go:

Seikos from those days used movements based on/licensed Swiss designs - Seiko weren't designing their own movements yet that long ago.
THANKS!

That looks like a pretty authoritative source.
So, if I'm reading that correctly, it's from 1924, which fits in with what the Seiko Museum site says about an almost identical model in their collection:

"1924
First Seiko-branded Watch
The first Seiko branded watch. Before the year preceding the Great Kanto Earthquake (1923), Seikosha had produced watches with various brand names. After the Earthquake, Seikosha announced the "Seiko" brand, by pursuing a unified image and focusing the fundamental feature of the watches on its precision."

So the one I bought seems the same as the Seiko Museum's model, but just predates printing 'Seiko' on the dial.

I didn't seek this out. I entered the lowest starting bid on Yahoo Japan and unexpectedly won. If there's anyone who wants it when it comes in, it's yours. I need to stay focused on late 60s' thru early 70s' Sports divers.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I think your watch is related to the right hand page. The left page are Moeris based movements.
Your watch is different from the museum one ( which has a hinged case)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts