The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I have been searching Helmet for while now and got lucky. Schoolmate of mine had one in parts that I traded for other watch. It is all good and working but it is missing the crystal/glass and I was told that the gasket is not available for it.

I have now search'd eBay and found out that there is two different thickness crystal for sale. How do I know witch one to get? I have the watch in school so I can't rebuild it back together to measure the thickness and I forgot to take the serial number. Where do I look for the gasket?

Thank you
Samuli

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well hello and great to have you with us...you do not have access to the model numbers on the back cover?...hey no worries it all takes us time to figure all of this out and we are glad to help you in any way we can...the serial number is not the numbers you need the back cover should say something like this...6139-7101 or something like that...well what color is the dial?...any idea what year it might be?...if i can find a pic of it maybe we can determine what model number you have and that way figure out what crystal you need...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
well hello and great to have you with us...you do not have access to the model numbers on the back cover?...hey no worries it all takes us time to figure all of this out and we are glad to help you in any way we can...the serial number is not the numbers you need the back cover should say something like this...6139-7101 or something like that...well what color is the dial?...any idea what year it might be?...if i can find a pic of it maybe we can determine what model number you have and that way figure out what crystal you need...God Bless John

Samulis' problem is that there are a variety of AM crystals being sold for the 6139 7100 (some of which reference the part number he's quoted above). However, while they may have the same diameter, some are thicker than others. Both thicknesses should fit.

I have a 6138 8030 which uses the same crystal. When I bought an AM crystal I wasn't sure about the thickness either. The one I received was thicker than the original crystal I removed. However, it fits fine, it just protrudes a bit more.

Unfortunately I don't have the old crystal to measure for you. Given I ended up with a thicker one than the original, my guess is that you should go for the thinner crystal Samulis.

I think you can get AM crystal gaskets too - just search 6139 7100 in ebay and something should pop up.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
great info Tritto...would it not be better to try and find a oem one?...or one of spencer's crystals?..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Esslinger watchmaker supply sells plastic watch gaskets and I believe Jules Borel does too . You will need the case Diameter where he crystal sits and the Diameter of the crystal also. They're not too expensive . Of course they also sell AM crystals .

·
Registered
912 Posts
Double check with Stefan, I'm sure he has had these or can get them for you.
Ebay seller "seikoparts" (tony plaza) should be emailed too.

Don't buy the am ones....you don't need to I'm sure.

·
Administrator
32,844 Posts
Personally i wouldent look twice at a after market crystal when an original is readily available and at a cheap price, in a few years time we will look back and wish we had bought a spare while Stefan had them :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
When I made the comment above about an AM crystal I didn't realise one was so readily available at a good price. Go for the Genuine article from Stefan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yes I have them with discount for members............
Good on ya Stefan!

It's hard to know what is available these days, guys like Stafan keep coming up trumps with new stuff that is realy, previously, unobtanium....it will be this way again, probably pretty soon I should think....unless more treasure chests get found!

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Yes contact Stefan and he will take great care of you for sure..God Bless John

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hello all

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I have been searching Helmet for while now and got lucky. Schoolmate of mine had one in parts that I traded for other watch. It is all good and working but it is missing the crystal/glass and I was told that the gasket is not available for it.

I have now search'd eBay and found out that there is two different thickness crystal for sale. How do I know witch one to get? I have the watch in school so I can't rebuild it back together to measure the thickness and I forgot to take the serial number. Where do I look for the gasket?

Thank you
Samuli

If you haven't already ordered the genuine article from Stefan, I found my old 6138 8030 crystal that I assume was a genuine 340w18gn. It is 1.9mm thick. Just updating for completeness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts