The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i have wanted one of these for a long time...never did i think i would be able to find a affordable one..and after 6 months of talking to a man who owned a very sad looking one..i was able to buy it for very little money...it of course needs work..and i am told the very early models had a very high end swiss movement in them...it is the larger model..like 42mm i think...see what you all think..i am hoping to be able to source parts...i see nothing online...maybe a owner of one can steer me in the right direction...thanks in advance and God Bless John...
Edit...first 4 pics are seller pics....
last 5 are actual pics once i received it...wow...i am very happy how much better it truly is
watch actually runs and keeps time..it must have a bad coil...second hand flutters...i am told these ETA movements 251.262 are one of the most complicated quartz movements made...

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chase-Durer can be reached at 310-550-7280
But the better bet is their off-site not affiliated service provider 818-559-9557

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thank you..i hope they will sell me what i need...i want to fix this one myself...i want the challenge of returning this to like new condition...

·
Registered
76 Posts
i have bought links from them, $6 each... that about it, they do stock parts because they make repairs so i would assume they will sell parts

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well great..thank you so much...that is so helpful....i got a very early version of the larger one...i am told it is huge...hey can u post some pics of your watch you have?...how well do you like it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have 2 of their "Pilot" watches.

Which simply means they have an "E6B" flight computer rotating bezel, very similar to a tachymetre rotating bezel but the scale is more suited to making time, speed, distance computations fuel burn etc

I have been flying for many years and never attempted to use the tiny bezel as an E6B, nor do i know any other pilots who have attempted to

the full size E6B is the standard tool for inflight computations however now they have an app for your iPhone that does the same thing

the 2 I have are the Falcon Command & Wing Commander

Im a work so no pics but here are "stock photos" of both models and a proper E6B

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
the blue face one above is the falcon command, and this one is the wing commander

Attachments

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow...they are very beautiful watches..i want to get a nice watch for my business partner as he is a avid flyer and lover of anything to do with aviation..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Citizen and Seiko both make pilot watches (Tachemetre Bezel) etc

But there are really only 2 companies that I can think of where that is their primary market..... Chase-Durer and Brietling

both of them now make other watches that are non-pilot but both started life as makers of pilot watches only

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that is something i did not know...thank you...i love the info..appreciate it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Seiko made one called the "Flightmaster" really nice watch

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really...i will start looking for one...i want a seiko for him for sure...thank you again

·
Registered
76 Posts
Citizen also makes some nice pilot watches under the "Blue Angels" moniker
3 different price points, the most expensive being the radio Controlled "Atomic" version sets itself etc.

usually $250 used but there is one on WUS currently for $150

the dial is a bit busy for my taste but you can really see how the E6B bezel works in this pic of it

Attachments

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that is a great looking one too..thank you

·
Registered
530 Posts
My son has that CD. I bought it for him probably 15 years ago, maybe more. It has a high end ETA Quartz mvmt in it part mechanical as I recall. The newer models are larger and have a sapphire xtl instead of the mineral glass that one has.

Once the PVD is gone it's gone. Redoing it is very expensive, probably more than the watch is worth.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
jringo8769-

I have to say that it looks like your Chase-Durer served its original owner very well indeed ! Hopefully with the replacement of the crystal and bezel it will have a whole new second life for its second owner !

·
Registered
76 Posts
what about Cerakote?

very popular for refinishing guns, some people are using it on watches too.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

here is a video of a cerakoted watch, two tone blk/gry w/ grey bezel looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjvkIzXKJI

motor city watch works will do it for $115.00...... that watch is worth it

http://www.motorcitywatchworks.com/services.html

Once the PVD is gone it's gone. Redoing it is very expensive, probably more than the watch is worth.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i have been doing lots of research...Ceracoate is great but this DLC coating is the next level and about the same money and it is like iron..will not show wear and very low friction between surfaces..and is very thin...the actual watch is so much better than pics...it is astonishing....and it even runs...i will add some pics soon...you will be shocked how nice this looks...

·
Registered
76 Posts
sweet, who did the DLC coating? did you have to send it off... or local?

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i am told a member on here does it or has connections to it...i am waiting to hear back....i think it is over in UK.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts