The Watch Site banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just an update. Sophon have not shipped the watch yet and refunded my money in full. Lesson well learned. The search continues... :)

Just imagine without these postings I would have been ...screwed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks Alex. AJ, keep the pics coming in. Great job on the CSI work with the stem tube and the caseback thread.

edit: Solaris, how much was it?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Solaris94 said:
Just an update. Sophon have not shipped the watch yet and refunded my money in full. Lesson well learned. The search continues... :)

Just imagine without these postings I would have been ...screwed.
GREAT news!

The only sad part is that someone else will end up with it, and learn the hard way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sorry double post.... Looking at it closely now, I think the case is a modified 6138-0011 case. The shape of the opening around the crown is round instead of "squarish".

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanapa said:
Thanks Alex. AJ, keep the pics coming in. Great job on the CSI work with the stem tube and the caseback thread.

edit: Solaris, how much was it?

My first offer was $525 for it but got it for $550 shipped.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Solaris94 said:
Sorry double post.... Looking at it closely now, I think the case is a modified 6138-0011 case. The shape of the opening around the crown is round instead of "squarish".

You could well be right, the crown recess on the original has squared sides as I this shot:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Spencer said:
and people, we now see that cheating fakers who make rip-off watches actually have victims. In this case, our very own AJ. Think on that when supporting someone on any level (including reacting with silence, which can be a form of support) who sells any kind of faked watches, with fake dials, fake parts, undisclosed case refinishing. Think of all the victims out there, and that a perpetrator of these kinds of crimes is HERE, at SCWF.

Spencer, It is quite obvious what you are trying to do here and it really is not necessary we have gone over all this before.
Lets instead focus on this situation, if you have anything to say to me then feel free to PM me.

Why not suggest instead....that we maybe try and help AJ, seeing as he has helped so many others, and we try and
do a project watch for him, it is obvious he is gutted about this slide rule and with all the contacts people have here we should
be able to sort something out in no time at all.
Not only that but it might be as special to him as the watch he thought he had.
Plus......it would be fun to do it.

I for example have contacts and I am sure we can get parts and fire them over as a team effort we can come up with something special for him.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Alex, is that bracelet original to the watch? I can't seem to find the picture in the archived Seiko catalogs..

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Steve, maybe you could open thread and please help AJ as much as you can.

I am trying to keep this thread as factual as possible, so that any would be/previous victim can easily check what they have.

Great job so far, all of you! :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
957 Posts
thanapa said:
Alex, is that bracele t original to the watch? I can't seem to find the picture in the archived Seiko catalogs..

No, the bracelet was one I had lying around when I took the photos, think it was off a 5xxx, but couldnt tell you for sure...in fact the watch is now on an original bracelet of the correct type.

The ones that sophon and his ilk sell with this watch are the correct style, but newly made, for a while I even toyed with the idea of getting one for my watch, but in the end I decided

1. To keep it as original as possible

And

2. Not to give him any of my hard earned $$$

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK, trying to think positive.....

Are they making the movement as well, or are they using an existing genuine Seiko 6138?
If they are making the movement as well, does this mean we will be able to buy spare parts new such as the chrono column wheels that do wear out?
If we can buy spares like this at least we can turn this sorry affair into a positive........possibly..........

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Russel, from the ones I have seen, the movement looks original to a tee albeit, used. I remember someone mentioned about bellmatics prices going up the roof, as well as vintage divers where it seems someone is buying them all up.

I think this is a sinister plot in re-manufacturing all these classics for the world consumption.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
There's a web site here in the UK www.retro-watches.co.uk who is selling what he says are NOS seiko's he has one of these 6138's i have to say that he does state that it has aftermarket parts but it's making me think about the other stuff he's selling ,like the NOS stelux 6139 bracelets i bought from him.

Jim

·
Registered
526 Posts
jimmy1963 said:
There's a web site here in the UK www.retro-watches.co.uk who is selling what he says are NOS seiko's he has one of these 6138's i have to say that he does state that it has aftermarket parts but it's making me think about the other stuff he's selling ,like the NOS stelux 6139 bracelets i bought from him.

Jim
Jim, I am pretty new to watch collecting and have never seen this site before, can it be true that this seller has access to so many NOS watches? I have been trawling the net night and day for weeks looking for interesting pieces and he has 4 or 5 NOS vintage Seikos on one page!!!

Maybe he has a access to sources or many many years of experience but my gut feeling tells me otherwise. Very interesting.

·
Registered
957 Posts
jimmy1963 said:

Jim

Check out the caseback on that one....

Surprise...We should probably let the seller know...

·
Administrator
29,790 Posts
jimmy1963 said:

Jim

There are a few sellers and areas i would never buy from and this guy is one, his stuff could be or could not be kosher but he has always been on my "black" list.

Thats why i am much happier picking something up like this at least you can be 90% sure it is the real thing complete with grunge etc :)

·
Administrator
29,790 Posts
What does strike me it is getting hard now to be sure what is and isent 100%, imagine what it will be like picking one of these up in say 20 years time !! the better fakes could become the "originals" with the poor fakes becoming the fakes :(

41 - 60 of 154 Posts