The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the 7546/7549.

Over the last week or so I have serviced three 7548 movements that had stopped due I imagine to the old oils going stiff.

A bit of back story, I had sorted these out for the last watch fair in the winter and they where running perfect and the week before the fair I was sorting out what I was taking and putting it up in the attic in the display cases I use at the fair, after a few days I went back up the attic to put something else in the case and I noticed that all three had stopped running, I knew it wasent the batteries as I had changed them ready for the fair so all I could think it was the cold as my attic is pretty cold in the winter.

I brought them back downstairs and placed them near to a radiator and after a few hours two started to run but the third dident so the cold and old/thick oil theory seemed to be the problem.

Fast forward to last week and I decided to service them, the non runner first, all good then one of the runners all good and then the last runner all good until the date change when it stopped, I reset it in the morning and again it stopped at the date change so it will have to be stripped again.

I have had this day/date change "problem" more with this family (7546/8/9) than with any other movement I have messed with.

·
Special Member
4,616 Posts
and the 7546/7549.

Over the last week or so I have serviced three 7548 movements that had stopped due I imagine to the old oils going stiff.

A bit of back story, I had sorted these out for the last watch fair in the winter and they where running perfect and the week before the fair I was sorting out what I was taking and putting it up in the attic in the display cases I use at the fair, after a few days I went back up the attic to put something else in the case and I noticed that all three had stopped running, I knew it wasent the batteries as I had changed them ready for the fair so all I could think it was the cold as my attic is pretty cold in the winter.

I brought them back downstairs and placed them near to a radiator and after a few hours two started to run but the third dident so the cold and old/thick oil theory seemed to be the problem.

Fast forward to last week and I decided to service them, the non runner first, all good then one of the runners all good and then the last runner all good until the date change when it stopped, I reset it in the morning and again it stopped at the date change so it will have to be stripped again.

I have had this day/date change "problem" more with this family (7546/8/9) than with any other movement I have messed with.

View attachment 449644
Interesting.
About a year ago, I had to replace batteries on three of my tunas (sbbn011, sbbn017, and golden 7549) within the same month. The one thing all had in common was the way I was storing them; upside down with the rubber strap coiled through the keeper to train the strap to keep a comfortable curvature. I’ve always wondered if storing them that way had anything to do with the battery draining prematurely on all or if it was just coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I had issues with one of my well worn 7548. Stopping, starting and the like. Exchanged circuit board and coil ,still problems. So I had a look at the hands . The lume had collapse that bad on the back that the hour hand was scrubbing the dial and the minute hand catching on the hour hand. So after sanding the backs down away it went for a while then stopped. Bloody hell what now. So decided to look at the train, very nervous time for me . But managed it ok and cleaned,oiled up and ready to go. Cranked up no problem,you beauty or so so I thought. Still stopped on me. What now , any way final fix ?. How simple ,I was missing the dial spacer ring
20200527_092300_compress92.jpg
and the second hand was just touching the crystal. Sourced a donated used ring off Melt in the UK. Installed and now have a well serviced ,running well 7548. I have 3 others John and none have an issue with the day date side of things. Also storing them has not being a problem here in the warmer climes of Queensland .
Cheers Tony

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have a 7549-7000 that is giving
me trouble. It arrived from Japan as "junk" but fired up right away with a new battery. However, it only ran for three months. I stripped it down and serviced it and it ran for twelve months with another new battery before it failed. This time I've put in a new battery and swapped in a known good circuit and coil to see if that is the issue. If that fails the next plan will be to take a known good 7548 movement and service it, swapping in all the parts from the 7549 that make it a 7549.
This would be ok, except I hate going in through the crystal on the 7549-7000 - it feels like there are so many risky operations in that procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You're scaring me John! I've serviced my fair share of 7548s due to dried oils - everything from complete non-runners, to twitching second hand, to periodically stopping/starting movements - but never had an issue crop up in the short-term after they'd been cleaned and re-lubed. :)

Off the top of my head (and other than what's already been mentioned), any chance that the contacts on the circuit board have at thin layer of corrosion or oxidation? Either at the battery or, more likely, at the coil contacts? After running into this on an old ESA movement I serviced, I've started, as a matter of course, to spray some Deoxit on a swab and lightly swab these contacts (circuit and coil) when servicing older quartz movements. A thin layer of oxidation - even one imperceptible to the naked eye - can still cause circuit continuity issues, I've found.

·
Administrator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had bought quite a few over the years with this problem Tristian it seems the extra effort needed to change the date or day is too much for the movement and stops it, I have found that after stripping and twiddling (technical term :)) it generally sorts it but still a PITB.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Someone, somewhere pointed out where a drop of oil is supposed to go on the main plate for the date wheel. I admit that I have never oiled this point. Now I need to do that on all of them. Especially my 7548 that struggles with day date change. It is clearly on the tech sheet. It doesn't line up with anything so ignored it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
If it's a date-change issue, I usually go through the following:

1. Check all the teeth on the date wheel
2. Check the tension on the date jumper spring
3. Lightly oil the date jumper where it contacts the teeth on the date wheel
4. Lightly oil the parts of the plate that the date wheel makes contact with

If it's a day-change issue, check that there isn't any friction between the day wheel and the hour wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts