The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
29,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate Casios and if I was going to canoe down the Amazon then i'm pretty sure I would pick a Casio of some description to be my one watch but apart from that they have never really excited me enough to buy a decent one.

But a couple of years back guys started showing there new Casio GMWB5000s, 200m WR, Solar, Bluetooth, all stainless with a proper screw down back, I liked them.

At the time they where £450 RRP so not cheap but over Christmas 2018 I saw them on sale for £350 so I picked one up and from day one I really liked it, felt and looked good on the wrist and while wearing it over Christmas I had more comments about it from family members than any other watch I had worn.

As you know they are really really shiny and some say they are scratch magnets but mine still looks great but I don't wear it that often to be honest, only one left wrist :)

I liked it that much I looked round for a used one to buy to use as a beater and when I found one I then tumbled it to remove the shine, looks good and a great beater.

Some time back I saw them on sale for £270 which was a great price but dident do much for used values when guys had paid £450.

I am not activity or semi actively looking but I wouldent mind one of the all "gold" models, a bit of bling now and again is good for the soul :)

So yes a Casio surprisingly became a firm favorite.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have come to really like the 6138-001x, ufo. It sits a lot more comfortably on the wrist than I ever imagined before having one. I guess having worn a lot of 6306/9s and getting used to the size of those cushion cased (not turtles!) watches may have had something to do with that.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I appreciate Casios and if I was going to canoe down the Amazon then i'm pretty sure I would pick a Casio of some description to be my one watch but apart from that they have never really excited me enough to buy a decent one.

But a couple of years back guys started showing there new Casio GMWB5000s, 200m WR, Solar, Bluetooth, all stainless with a proper screw down back, I liked them.

At the time they where £450 RRP so not cheap but over Christmas 2018 I saw them on sale for £350 so I picked one up and from day one I really liked it, felt and looked good on the wrist and while wearing it over Christmas I had more comments about it from family members than any other watch I had worn.

As you know they are really really shiny and some say they are scratch magnets but mine still looks great but I don't wear it that often to be honest, only one left wrist :)

I liked it that much I looked round for a used one to buy to use as a beater and when I found one I then tumbled it to remove the shine, looks good and a great beater.

Some time back I saw them on sale for £270 which was a great price but dident do much for used values when guys had paid £450.

I am not activity or semi actively looking but I wouldent mind one of the all "gold" models, a bit of bling now and again is good for the soul :)

So yes a Casio surprisingly became a firm favorite.

View attachment 453198
John.....those are cool for sure and while I'd have no problem wearing the shiny one, the tumbled one looks great from the picture.

I've got 12 Seikos so I knew what I was getting before I bought them, but these two I bought on sale and wasn't sure if I'd keep or not.

Something about both I really like now.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
My Ecozilla has become indespensable. I wear it almost daily while I chainsaw trees, haul rocks, mow grass, dig holes, smoke meat and all the rest of my outdoor efforts. It's comfortable and light, very legible, and without question as rugged as I need - then I just wear it into the shower and it looks showroom fresh again. I suspect I will buy a backup because I will miss it when it dies.
66568B30-C73B-4D64-BAA6-565E0F40DBD9_1_105_c by vinyl greek, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Yes, believe it or not my yellow dial 6139-6002. I wasn't really a fan of the Pogue look but saw a 6002 at a price that would have been great to flip. I have the shabby original dial but opted for an AM for the clean look. Once on the wrist it grew on me and I wear it regularly now, one of my favs.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I bought the Seiko SRPC41 (PADI) because the size and case shape were unique but not in a "mini-turtle" way. Upon receipt I discovered the hands and the cyclops became irritants for me. So I gathered up some AM hands and a crystal and had a slight mod done. Then the fact that lume on the AM hands didn't really match the lume on the indices became yet another source of frustration and I seriously considered selling the damn thing. Figuring I had nothing less to lose, I swapped out the AM hands and had some OEM hands installed and that seemed to do the trick. But the real saving grace boiled down to swapping to a silicon band I had in mind for another watch and bingo, this guy has graduated from being a red-headed stepchild to one of my favorites. It took a while but there ya go.

First Blush

Second iteration

Third and final change

·
Poet Laureate
850 Posts
This ridiculous thing has unexpectedly found a place in my heart. The utility of the alarm feature is questionable since setting it is a guessing game. There's a wind up toy quality about the watch that you need a sense of humor to appreciate. The "serious" collector need not bother.
It's the color scheme that captivates on this watch. Someone at Seiko was channeling their inner Van Gogh mixing primaries, pastels and a dial that looks black in photos but is actually a deep royal blue. I'd put it up against the funkiest of the 70m skin divers in a beauty contest (plus a complication!)
It's my go-to when I want to smile

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
I wanted one of these for quite a long time and now that I have it, it's been a true "grab and go" for me. I just love it. More so than I expected.

IMG_6263.JPG

·
Special Member
4,671 Posts
My GW-5000-1jf, on second skins only because my pooch had it for a couple days, likes to grab stuff off tables/counters when no one’s looking, apparently.
But the dlc head and crystal are spotless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
308 Posts
6105s.

My intro was the 6309. It was THE Seiko diver to me.
I saw an older guy with second model 6105. It just looked off and wrong. Play no day complication.

A dozen years later looking for a replacement for my old, lost 6309 led me to seeing the 6205. We are talking about ebay searches around 1998/99 or so. The 6105 still looked off to me. This was when you might find a 6309 pretty nice for like 100 bucks. I got the collecting bug and gave the 6105 a try.
It was enjoyable.
This led to a first Model 6105.
Wow. With a screw down crown this would make a timeless, forever model in the Seiko lineup.

I did not find the 6217 or 6159s , etc. to be so enjoyable vs just the old thrill of the hunt for the collection.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
This Casio is the bomb for anything that comes up. I really like it much more than I thought.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
This guy only continues to grow on me. In looking for a good, knock around quartz diver, I was dismayed that (at the time) these “starfish” bezel solars were the only new quartz divers Seiko had on offer. I bought one thinking I’d hate the bezel and switch to the Murphy bezel, but I’ve left as is and love it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I am not anal about the exact time setting...+ or - minutes or seconds. In my business, time is money and as much as I love a dollar..you can bet that I am not going to be late. :D When I have appointments to meet with clients, I always arrive 10 to 15 minutes early.
Michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts