The Watch Site banner

561 - 580 of 586 Posts

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
Thanks Neil,
The needle is newer, original needle really took a beating, rattling around in the drawer for many years. The hifi shop happened to have an original replacement needle from a more expensive version. Fits perfectly. And I've got a Shure M91MGD with 78RPM needle.
DS Sir it’s almost a P Mount Style Cartridge On Those Like what’s on my Vintage
Technics SLQ200 deck👏👏👏

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
I used to own a TG334 IEM and now sporting a custom mold 64 Audio a12 :grin:
Technics SL1210MK2 for me And a Deck I always wanted👍

Attachments

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Thank you Tritto Sir

You're welcome.

I don't collect vintage hifi, but have a reasonable set up in the living room.
Recently I realised my 20yo Velodyne sub wasn't working. After doing some tests it looked like the plate amp may not be functioning properly. I took it to a local speaker repair guy that works out of his garage to have a look at. A few days later he's identified the problem and replaced half a dozen caps that have burnt out. $110AUD
(That's about £60/$75US) later and it's all sorted. Great to have the bass back in my system and very satisfying to be able to keep my "vintage" sub going.
I've done a couple of speaker repairs before (inc replacing the ferro fluid in the voice coil of my B&W centre speaker) and my next project will be building a small subwoofer for the bedroom tv (8 or 10" driver max).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
You're welcome.

I don't collect vintage hifi, but have a reasonable set up in the living room.
Recently I realised my 20yo Velodyne sub wasn't working. After doing some tests it looked like the plate amp may not be functioning properly. I took it to a local speaker repair guy that works out of his garage to have a look at. A few days later he's identified the problem and replaced half a dozen caps that have burnt out. $110AUD
(That's about £60/$75US) later and it's all sorted. Great to have the bass back in my system and very satisfying to be able to keep my "vintage" sub going.
I've done a couple of speaker repairs before (inc replacing the ferro fluid in the voice coil of my B&W centre speaker) and my next project will be building a small subwoofer for the bedroom tv (8 or 10" driver max).

Tritto Sir Velodyne Subs were always Admired as the Ultimate Sub to own if you really wanted wall shaking but controlled Bass.
I’ve never owned a Sub myself as I’ve never really needed anymore Bass than my Large Front And Rear Speakers provide,Plus Space limited my options.
I am however a huge B&W fan with a mint pair of DM601 S2 and DM601 S3 Speakers as well as a Pair Of CDM1SE Monitors,I love the Yellow Kevlar Bass Units as well as the Sound Of course.Then there’s the Headphones B&W Make
Of which I have the P7 Wireless,PX Wireless,And P3.

Great you got your Sub Sorted,I always replace the Capacitors when restoring my Speakers as it adds to Longevity and the Original Sound Returns👍

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Tritto Sir Velodyne Subs were always Admired as the Ultimate Sub to own if you really wanted wall shaking but controlled Bass.

I’ve never owned a Sub myself as I’ve never really needed anymore Bass than my Large Front And Rear Speakers provide,Plus Space limited my options.

I am however a huge B&W fan with a mint pair of DM601 S2 and DM601 S3 Speakers as well as a Pair Of CDM1SE Monitors,I love the Yellow Kevlar Bass Units as well as the Sound Of course.Then there’s the Headphones B&W Make

Of which I have the P7 Wireless,PX Wireless,And P3.

Great you got your Sub Sorted,I always replace the Capacitors when restoring my Speakers as it adds to Longevity and the Original Sound Returns

Yeah, I'm a fan of the B&W sound. I have a pair of DM601 S1s and a centre speaker to match (ref escapes me now). I've a pair of the P5 headphones too.
The Velodyne was recommended to me by a friend that worked in the industry as a very good sub for music - which was my focus at the time. I don't try to extract room shaking bass from it, but it gives the DM601s a much fuller sound for music or tv.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Yeah, I'm a fan of the B&W sound. I have a pair of DM601 S1s and a centre speaker to match (ref escapes me now). I've a pair of the P5 headphones too.
The Velodyne was recommended to me by a friend that worked in the industry as a very good sub for music - which was my focus at the time. I don't try to extract room shaking bass from it, but it gives the DM601s a much fuller sound for music or tv.

Tritto Sir Good Man,S1 I nearly bought but got a great offer on the S2’s and the S3’s👍🎵🎵🎵
The P5 Cans I have not got but they Sit on the ears and I prefer Over Ear Headphones 🎧

Give me a minute and I will Show my S2’s,3’s And CDM1’s In their Position as I swap my speakers about so they get used.😜👍

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,118 Posts
Can you guys REALLY tell the difference with the sound using different headphones ?

I have always used any headphone available but reading some of the posts here and some time ago after being recommended some Bowers and Wilkins P3 I gave them ago, ok but a little uncomfortable and over time and use they dident get much better but the sound was ok but to me no different to other ones (cheap) I had used, am I missing something or just a sound heathen ? :)

Anyway last week my pup chewed through one side of my Bowers and I never noticed apart from the sound seemed a little quiet but then I saw the damage so nipped up Tescos, paid £20 for some Sony ones, to me the sound is as good and they are more comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Yes John you should be able to notice the difference between a £20 pair of headphones and a £200 pair but also it depends on the quality of your source. Feed your headphones or speakers garbage and you only hear garbage in more clarity.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Yes, John. In fact different phones sometimes suit particular types of music. I have a pair of earphones that really make good quality vocals shine and are great with slower music and acoustic instruments, but no good for metal. I switch them out when I choose some vintage Swedish doom or German speed metal.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Are you using the DM601s as your main speakers, @theneilo1?
If so, having the sub makes a noticeable difference to the timbre of deeper notes. It's not thumping base, just a noticeable richness to the sound. Well worth trying if you have a friend you can borrow a good sub from the try out. My sub handles anything under 80Hz and sits in a corner without drawing overt attention to itself.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
Are you using the DM601s as your main speakers, @theneilo1?
If so, having the sub makes a noticeable difference to the timbre of deeper notes. It's not thumping base, just a noticeable richness to the sound. Well worth trying if you have a friend you can borrow a good sub from the try out. My sub handles anything under 80Hz and sits in a corner without drawing overt attention to itself.

Tritto Sir No not my mains at all as I have a few to choose from and Run 2 Systems in my Sitting Room.
Fronts for TV and Movies Acoustic Energy AE120 And Monitor Audio R852 I can Swap between,Centre Speaker Mission 75C,Rears Mission 753,Sides Mission 753,
Ceiling rears B&W DM601-S3 And That’s only a handful of Speakers I have😮

Here you go😜

Attachments

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #576 (Edited)
And Just Landed So They Are hooked up to repeat music Burning in For a couple of days����

Attachments

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #577
Can you guys REALLY tell the difference with the sound using different headphones ?

I have always used any headphone available but reading some of the posts here and some time ago after being recommended some Bowers and Wilkins P3 I gave them ago, ok but a little uncomfortable and over time and use they dident get much better but the sound was ok but to me no different to other ones (cheap) I had used, am I missing something or just a sound heathen ? :)

Anyway last week my pup chewed through one side of my Bowers and I never noticed apart from the sound seemed a little quiet but then I saw the damage so nipped up Tescos, paid £20 for some Sony ones, to me the sound is as good and they are more comfortable to wear.
John Sir Every Pair I’ve got Sound Different.
But feed any of them a FLAC file of a song through a Good high Power Headphone amplifier or Tube amplifier and you would be amazed by the sound of
Certain headphones with music.

Your B&W P3,s can be repaired easily by the way and are B&W’s cheapest over ear cans that are Just a better option for mobile phone music than the supplied Apple air buds or android buds.
Retail Store Headphones that cater to Joe Public Like Sony,JVC,Panasonic,Philips all tend to Sound Similar as they all Emphasise their Sound on Heavy Bass not Clarity with Bass And Midrange,Treble or Soundstage and Imaging like high end headphones.
Mike of course is right as the final part of the puzzle is what music files you feed your headphones as in layman’s terms it’s as different to listening to the same song through an old tape deck then listening to it through a CD.
Even YouTube has Audiophile music tracks now that sound great even though YouTube compresses their Music output.

Attachments

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Neilo, your living room is like a HiFi showroom :93:
😜😂😂 Mike Thank You Sir And Just how I like it so I can Switcheroo the Speakers I have.Problem is I can’t turn it up although I have a few times and my windows Shake but that’s maybe down to the Power of my Amps driving the Big Floor standers.
You will notice your R852 Monitor Audios Are Pride Of Place On Atacama Stands
That are Filled with Atabites😜👍
I absolutely love the Warmth Of Sound they throw out when I’m just listening to those alone.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
������ Mike Thank You Sir And Just how I like it so I can Switcheroo the Speakers I have.Problem is I can’t turn it up although I have a few times and my windows Shake but that’s maybe down to the Power of my Amps driving the Big Floor standers.
You will notice your R852 Monitor Audios Are Pride Of Place On Atacama Stands
That are Filled with Atabites����
I absolutely love the Warmth Of Sound they throw out when I’m just listening to those alone.
Argh crap, I wish I had not given you them now :57:

How do you manage to turn up the wick and still stay on terms with your neighbours? My house is built badly and the sound goes right through next door so I rarely listen to music loud.

561 - 580 of 586 Posts