The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one hanging around here for more than about 18 months will know I got a Seiko Alpinist SARB017 for my 50th Birthday. Just before, I was trying to make my mind up, should I get a Sumo or an Alpinist so I canvassed for opinions on the forum. At the same time I was also considering the Alpinist SARB059 but not so strongly.

In the end I went for the SARB017 because of concern about the size of the Sumo on my relatively weedy wrist. Pollys old bestist mate Jim even offered to send me his Sumo to try on but in the end I went for the SARB017 because of concern about the Sumo's size and also I felt I would wear the SARB017 more.

After owning the SARB017 for a while and being very satisfied with my choice I bought a new Blue Sumo SBDC003 and to my surprise although big not too much so. Every one should have a Sumo:93:

Ever since getting the SARB017 I really wished I had also got a Alpinist SARB059 before they became obsolete. I kept an eye out but never saw one secondhand for sensible money. That was until a couple of weeks ago when looking at SCWF during breakfast, I spilled my coffee, gordo was selling his on the SCTF. The cost was right in my ball park.

So now I have all three watches that I was trying to decide over. Each are terrific in their own right. The SARB059, although based on a SKX case in nothing like the SKX dive watch, just look at it's side profile with the rotating bezel and domed crystal giving it a compact low profile.

The SARB017 in sunlight though is truly beautiful (my photographs do not do a very good job), I think this one for its small dressy size comfort and general shape is my favorite

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Lovely trio Mike :clap::clap:I'd like to get my hands on a sarb059.

And isn't it about time another cat adopted you :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have no idea why, but having ground to air emergency signal codes on a watch is cooler than frozen antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I love that Alpinist. Would love to see it in(on) the flesh. Don't sell it before I get there !

·
Registered
97 Posts
That blue dial Sumo is simply stunning! I love it!

As for the Alpinist, always been a fan of the SARB017, have owned more than one over the years, meaning I've returned to it and now it's here to stay. You do have to try it on a nice brown leather strap though ;)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
great looking trio...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I own a SARB059 too and have been eyeing the SARB017 and Blumo for a long time. So glad that there is someone out there who share the same taste for watches and now I know how they look together. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great watches. I love my orange Sumo. Owned the SARB017 and 059 briefly last year, then flipped. Kinda sorry I did, but can't keep them all. Enjoy.

·
Special Member
5,290 Posts
Great watches. I love my orange Sumo. Owned the SARB017 and 059 briefly last year, then flipped. Kinda sorry I did, but can't keep them all. Enjoy.
I also love your orange sumo. I had been on the fence about getting one, then your "0k, now I get it" post was the final arm twist. It's on the way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well alright Ray...

I also love your orange sumo. I had been on the fence about getting one, then your "0k, now I get it" post was the final arm twist. It's on the way.
Good man. Enjoy your orange Sumo. The blue looks very nice as well and may have to pick up too some day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts