The Watch Site banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"The Prospector"
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been after one of these for a while, I have several Prospex re-issues, only they don't seem the same as the original. I know nothing about the origial 6309 7040 tbf, I saw it and thought that it didn't look too bad, so I decided to trust my 'gut instinct', was I right please? Thks

·
Administrator
33,575 Posts
It looks ok (original) Vyn especially if you like the aged look, depends how much you paid and if it has any service history etc.

Reactions: vynster

·
Special Member
3,086 Posts
Ideally the lume would be evenly aged, this one has some darker spots, but a great pickup nonetheless. Personally I love the patina.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
"The Prospector"
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ideally the lume would be evenly aged, this one has some darker spots, but a great pickup nonetheless. Personally I love the patina.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thank you Rob, me too, i tend to be a little shy of those that look as though they have come straight from the Seiko Factory.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's rare to see one that hasn't had the heck polished out of it. Great find. With prices only going up on original Turtles, it was a smart move.

·
"The Prospector"
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's rare to see one that hasn't had the heck polished out of it. Great find. With prices only going up on original Turtles, it was a smart move.
Thank you, i had one before, i stupidly moved it on, i will not make that error a second time.

·
Special Member
7,647 Posts
Firstly, congrats on a nice score !

The low 157 degree amplitude could easily be a matter of how much wind it has. Give the mainspring 5+ full turns with a screwdriver if that bothers you. If it was serviced that should jump up a lot. To me, an old Seiko worn occasionally in rotation that tops out around 160 degrees is actually no problem at all. Others will disagree but why?

Get new OEM hands they don't appeal to me as they don't match.

Better yet send the dial and hands to Guy J. He can clean up the original lume and re-lume the hands to match.

That's an original bezel and insert and very nicely preserved to suit the overall watch. Hard to find these days.

All in all a wonderful new addition Vyn!

·
"The Prospector"
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Firstly, congrats on a nice score !

The low 157 degree amplitude could easily be a matter of how much wind it has. Give the mainspring 5+ full turns with a screwdriver if that bothers you. If it was serviced that should jump up a lot. To me, an old Seiko worn occasionally in rotation that tops out around 160 degrees is actually no problem at all. Others will disagree but why?

Get new OEM hands they don't appeal to me as they don't match.

Better yet send the dial and hands to Guy J. He can clean up the original lime and re-lume the hands to match.

That's an original bezel and insert and very nicely preserved to suit the overall watch. Hard to find these days.

All in all a wonderful new addition Vyn!
Thank you very much!

·
Special Member
9,368 Posts
Looks like a bit of okay there Vyn. That could just look the business after some time with someone as recommended above

1 - 19 of 19 Posts