The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Special Member
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all are aware prices for vintage Seiko Dive watches has been on the increase. Personally I believe vintage Seiko Divers were an absolute bargain years ago and the prices are moving up to where they are still a fantastic value but not overpriced. As a collector I own numerous Vintage Seiko Divers and often buy them with missing or needing parts and I have been able to find the necessary parts from very helpful SCWF members or Ebay. Sometimes it takes a LONG time and lots of patience to source the right parts but it seems that they are out there.

Recently I have seen an increase in Vintage Diver Parts that makes me think it will be harder to service and find parts at a reasonable price in the future. I completely understand the supply and demand equation - they just are not making these parts anymore so if you need them you will pay and sometimes pay dearly. A few recent sales include a vintage Seiko NOS 6159-7000 bezel for over $900 USD and a 6105-8110 caseback for $148. On a positive note I was able to just recently pickup a 6105-811X Diver case complete with Bezel and caseback for $250 from our favorite auction house - I thought still a reasonable price to pay and I was happy to win this parts lot.

Any thoughts, comments, or experiences with Vintage Seiko Diver Watch parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's the way of the world.... The more popular some thing gets the harder the parts get to find and then the parts sellers end up having to charge more as they have to pay more for the parts in the first place. The secret to this is to start telling everyone these old divers are crap and then nobody will want them and the parts prices will fall! Well that's my theory anyway :)
I owned a 69 Pontiac GTO in the late 1980's early 90's that I paid £650GBP for. It was a two owner car and immaculate. Even came with a spare '4 speed trans' in the trunk to replace the 3 speed that was fitted. I sold that car for £850GBP ($1600 at the time) in '93. I watched one sell for £45,000GBP approx $75,000USD about a year ago. Madness reigns supreme when supply and demand gets involved.

·
Administrator
30,098 Posts
Great if you have the parts but a PITA if you need to buy :(

I have been looking for this "C" washer which must be worth $1 at most but i can't find it so i would be willing to pay much more than $1 to get one (anyone ? :) ).

Did someone say it's all about spares and good friends some time ago ?

·
Registered
29,137 Posts
If one accepts the "Wiktionary" definition of "vintage" as applied to watches, I wonder if the term is not overused to describe older watches.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vintage

·
Registered
708 Posts
I often wonder if the flood of subpar aftermarket parts has indirectly caused this. It's great that we have so many newcomers to collecting Seikos, but many of us have bought crap parts only to learn how awful they truly are compared with OEM. Then we end up overpaying for NOS or even used OEM parts because we can't bear the thought of keeping the watch without the correct parts.

I keep thinking the prices will wax and wane, but they've stayed quite high for a long time. As time goes on, these parts will simply become harder to find and perhaps we're already reaching that point. Lest we forget, the caseback that sold above is 41 years old, from a watch that -- at the time it was sold -- was not likely intended to be a collector's item. I think today's prices reflect just how few good examples may be out there without doing some thorough restoration work.

I do echo John's sentiment that the community often comes in at the right time when these parts get tough to find. For example, when I was looking for a 24 hour wheel for my 6217, or day/date trim for my 6106 sport diver, kind members stepped up immediately. As long as that sort of generosity continues, I believe the prices will just be a reminder how great these watches are when they're complete and restored.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts