The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask because recently I didn't pull the trigger on a watch coming from a factory in China due to my (warranted or otherwise) concerns about the coronavirus outbreak. Am I overthinking this? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found this article interesting: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

Another article addressed your concern more directly by talking about how long these viruses last outside the human body: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronaviruses-how-long-can-they-survive-on-surfaces#How-long-do-coronaviruses-persist?

The main point of the article is: “Human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces at room temperature for up to 9 days. At a temperature of 30°C [86°F] or more, the duration of persistence is shorter. Veterinary coronaviruses have been shown to persist even longer for 28 days.”

This would seem to indicate that - if you wanted to be really careful - you would want to "quarantine" any shipments from outbreak areas for at least 10 days to a week before handling them and/or (if safe to do so) put them in a space that is over 86 degrees F. This could be done with a solar oven on a window ledge for a few days.....

However, the first article suggests that it won't be long until we really won't have specific "outbreak areas" anymore and the virus will be more global. This would mean that any mail we receive from an unknown source (advertisements, etc) or that has passed through unknown hands will become just as potentially dangerous. Assuming that is the case, the best bet is to wash your hands frequently - like multiple times a day when out in public spaces or after handling mail and stuff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
For 'on the road': hand sanitizers (gel) with alcohol are a good alternative. That's more or less the stuff you see when you go into a restaurant. Apply, wash your hands and it will evaporate and dry without a towel.

Mind you, the stuff is up in price. Not as fast as mouth caps though.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
I think it’s going to be affecting everything and Everyone shortly.

I’m Staying in and Polishing my Watches until it passes or Someone brings me Some “Day Nurse”😮😜

·
Registered
178 Posts
Japanese yen has strengthened about 5%, so orders from Japan will cost more in foreign currencies.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Was going to meet a gent this afternoon for a local purchase - this morning he backed out due to person-to-person transmission concerns, which in the end, was probably the right call. It was a damn good deal for the watch, though!

·
Registered
24,676 Posts
I think it’s going to be affecting everything and Everyone shortly.

I’m Staying in and Polishing my Watches until it passes or Someone brings me Some “Day Nurse”😮😜
You called ? The resident SCWF nurse ;)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Local (Philippine) watch prices are down. I guess in these uncertain times sellers want to have cash on hand.

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
You called ? The resident SCWF nurse ;)

Yay, she's back. There was a thread I never opened just so she would keep popping up in my feed as the most recent photo in the thread. I may have to stop reading this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Apparently China enacted some very strict rules on the population: "Under the restrictions, travel in and out [of the effected area], for any reason, was banned. Authorities suspended public transport and banned most private cars, and eventually began house-to-house inspections and enforced quarantine." Even with those restrictions in place, the number of COUNTED virus patients increased by over 60k in the following several weeks.

I don't doubt that there will be "winners" and "losers" in the global economy (both in the short term and the long term), but I don't think China intentionally launched this virus because of perceived poor performance in a US - China trade deal...

Also: at the time that this guy made this video it might appear that China is coming out on top, but it remains to be seen what happens when they loosen restrictions on travel....

I'm hoping for a vaccine....

And looking for a new watch project while I'm quarantined in my house....

·
Registered
312 Posts
face masks

They don't have any more face masks left in the stores, so I ordered some on Amazon. These are coming from China. So now I am concerned that maybe I will be in more danger wearing it ? I am thinking of putting them in quarantine when they arrive ? Will it be safe to wear if I wait one week ?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Weakened U.S. and Europe = Bye bye Hong Kong, Taiwan. Not sure what will happen to former Soviet states. Just thinkin'

·
Registered
28,417 Posts
Watch buying in general down. (Too much being spent on hoarding toilet paper.) CNS recently selling off inventory at 70% off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts