The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
32,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did it in a small way for Bell-matics years ago.

IMO it would be good if all the case books and technical guides etc where in a digital format almost like a spread sheet where you could input say a crystal part number, search and all the cases that it was used in where high lighted, it would be great for seeing what your NOS spares where for.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I did it in a small way for Bell-matics years ago.

IMO it would be good if all the case books and technical guides etc where in a digital format almost like a spread sheet where you could input say a crystal part number, search and all the cases that it was used in where high lighted, it would be great for seeing what your NOS spares where for.
You can almost do that on Jules Borel JB, although I haven’t quite worked out how to start with just a part number. Should be possible though, it’s just a database.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
32,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried it on the Phil and I couldent do it but that doesent mean much, plus if you could do it you are at there mercy, would be nice to be self sufficient :)

·
Researcher
5,205 Posts
It used to be possible to cross reference part numbers on Seiko Oceania, but since they changed the site, I've no idea how to do it, bloody clunky to use now.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Google is your friend.
It used to be possible to cross reference part numbers on Seiko Oceania....
Please expand or provide link, because I'd like to know how to do reverse look-ups too.
Google found this old thread on my forum (from 3 years ago):

.... which included this statement:

One thing I haven't yet managed to figure out how to do in this new version, is a reverse look-up (i.e. ask where a part is used). It's sometimes very useful for establishing that certain parts are common to multiple case models.

·
Registered
914 Posts
That reminded me.
One of my forum members (who's a bit of an IT whizz), wrote this in an email back in January:

Me and a friend of mine trying to scrape the Seiko webpage in order to get the parts database offline.
I replied, saying I'd be interested in an extract (of the 7Axx parts data).
I'll follow up and ask what progress he's made.

·
Researcher
5,205 Posts
There's no way I've found on Oceania's new site.
Hundreds of hours of searching, is the normal way.

·
Registered
914 Posts
There's no way I've found on Oceania's new site.
Hundreds of hours of searching, is the normal way.
I don't know about 'hundreds of hours', but a simple reverse look-up, which should take a matter of seconds can take a few minutes to do 'the hard way'. I know because I've just done one. :geek:

Over the years, when prices were a lot cheaper, I'd bought a number of two-tone 7A38's simply to break up for parts. I'd recently decided that I was going to re-build one - a two-tone 7A38-7280. I had most of the parts, including a decent case and bracelet, with minimal plating wear, but was missing the silver Tachymeter dial ring. Going through a stack of little boxes, I found not one but two. :)

Usually I'm very methodical about stocking spare parts (new or used) in little ziplock bags with a post-it note stating the Seiko part number (and where it had come from). I'd obviously overlooked these and couldn't remember exactly what they came out of. I had an idea, but wasn't sure that they were the correct shade of silver. So I went through the individual parts lists for all the 7A38's that I could remember using a silver Tachymeter ring (some of which I'd broken up for parts). According to Seiko Oceania's database, this part, which I've since determined is # 84311024 is common to:

7A38-7020 SAA010J, 7A38-7240 SAA108J, 7A38-724A SAA086J, 7A38-7260 SAA098J and what I wanted it for - 7A38-7280 SAA120J.

Incidentally, it should also be found in the parts list for 7A38-728B SAA136J (the UEFA EURO 88 limited edition), but Seiko's database erroneously shows 84311025. P/n 84311024 should also come up in the parts list for the two-tone 7A38-7190 SAA054J - except that model's data is completely missing. However, it does show that the stainless 7A38-7190 SAA053J uses a different (lighter silver) Tachymeter dial ring, p/n 84311026. The two-tone 7A38-727A SAA132J also uses a silver Tachymeter ring, which Seiko's database shows uses a different part number: 84320847. Which, I'm certain these two I've found aren't, because I've never broken one of those up.

So after breakfast, I'm going to nail it back together.

·
Researcher
5,205 Posts
So how do you search for a part number commonality, when you have no clue what calibre it fits?
Do you go through every case, for every calibre??

·
Researcher
5,205 Posts
Perzackly.

·
Registered
Seiko,Tissot,Omega quartz,etc.
2 Posts
I don't know about 'hundreds of hours', but a simple reverse look-up, which should take a matter of seconds can take a few minutes to do 'the hard way'. I know because I've just done one. :geek:

Over the years, when prices were a lot cheaper, I'd bought a number of two-tone 7A38's simply to break up for parts. I'd recently decided that I was going to re-build one - a two-tone 7A38-7280. I had most of the parts, including a decent case and bracelet, with minimal plating wear, but was missing the silver Tachymeter dial ring. Going through a stack of little boxes, I found not one but two. :)

Usually I'm very methodical about stocking spare parts (new or used) in little ziplock bags with a post-it note stating the Seiko part number (and where it had come from). I'd obviously overlooked these and couldn't remember exactly what they came out of. I had an idea, but wasn't sure that they were the correct shade of silver. So I went through the individual parts lists for all the 7A38's that I could remember using a silver Tachymeter ring (some of which I'd broken up for parts). According to Seiko Oceania's database, this part, which I've since determined is # 84311024 is common to:

7A38-7020 SAA010J, 7A38-7240 SAA108J, 7A38-724A SAA086J, 7A38-7260 SAA098J and what I wanted it for - 7A38-7280 SAA120J.

Incidentally, it should also be found in the parts list for 7A38-728B SAA136J (the UEFA EURO 88 limited edition), but Seiko's database erroneously shows 84311025. P/n 84311024 should also come up in the parts list for the two-tone 7A38-7190 SAA054J - except that model's data is completely missing. However, it does show that the stainless 7A38-7190 SAA053J uses a different (lighter silver) Tachymeter dial ring, p/n 84311026. The two-tone 7A38-727A SAA132J also uses a silver Tachymeter ring, which Seiko's database shows uses a different part number: 84320847. Which, I'm certain these two I've found aren't, because I've never broken one of those up.

..if please, for a fee, can you send me a silver Tachymeter ring for 7a38-7020.
Sorry, I could not send a private message.
Thank you very much!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts