The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
30,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While talking to Russell the other night his 5718-8000 (what a beauty)came in to the conversation and he sent me a couple of updated pictures.

Since I last saw it a NOS dial (rocking horse droppings rare ?) has been fitted which Clayton helped him source, the original had some small ageing near the one position. Also it has had a complete service with many NOS parts performed by Pete K in OZ, also passed a pressure test :)

I think now the only blemish is a little discolouration (wabi ? :) ) on the chapter ring.

Would you say this could be considered rare ? :) I know with the money Russell has in it you could buy three 6159-7000 !!!!

The NOS dial.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
wow...very elegant

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I love the 5718. One of my grails.

Doing pretty much everything I know to find one - Google alerts, polling YJ, reaching out to that guy with the amazing collection in his library.

I know one will come up for sale at some point - just hope I don't miss it.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I love the "Big Date" I flipped by Seiko Kinetic Perpetual with the same. Great dial. Had a Maurice LaCroix automatic with the Big Date a while back in rose gold - flipped it too to make money available for this Seiko habit.

That is one fantastic looker.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
JSYK It's not a big date, it's a counter incremented by the left pushers. A unique complication for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Crazy cool.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Now that is one beautiful watch. What a great dial design and great colors. It is watches like this that keep causing me to add to my already way oversized collection. I will never be adding anything this high end to my stash but even for $50 buck you can go on eBay and find dozens of beautiful examples of Seiko perfection.
Very few other companies out there seem to be able to get the balance of performance looks functionality and price spot on like Seiko has been doing for ever with ease it seems.
If you put ten Rolex watches on a counter 5 most likely would be just plain hideous looking three more would just be overdone and two would be just right.
Seiko has some sort of magic when it comes to designing watches.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hello Every one

Hi
Just a few words about the 5718. When she came available The feelings inside of me "This must be bought" I just received her after two years with John in UK who sent her to Pete in Oz.

Really CLAYTON was the catalyst to try and bring her Home He spent countless hours trying to source parts and OEM Bracelet for the 5718 in Japan.

It was A GIFT to have been working with Pete at the time, he had NOS Parts
for the Mvt. and When the NOS Dial showed up in Japan Clayton was on it and
Pete Finished her off.

I have to run to work but just wanted to touch in and say Hi, I owe so much to so many of you I am the Present Custodian of this Rather Rare Seiko. I really
Never felt I Own a 5718-8000 I felt I am a custodian and will try to Bring her to her very best Until the Next custodian Shows Up.

It has been an Honor
Russell

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Love that watch every time I see it.

It is amazing that you were able to find a NOS dial for such a rare watch.

Congratulations on this Russell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts