The Watch Site banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two of those things in and freshened up for the collection (previous post on that) and now I have SIX more incoming to see what I can do with them. Has this happened to anyone else? At this rate I'll need another watch box and I only just got a 20 slot!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I went through sportsmatic collecting phase a couple of years ago and had about 25-30 at my peak. They are good looking vintage watches that for me hit all the right spots design wise and are good value if you want to build a collection of them.

Some can be expensive, or should I say some sellers over value them but I got all mine for peanuts and restored them myself as the movements are a doddle to service with parts readily available if you acquire spares movements. The cases also are easy to refurbish if necessary. The main point to look for is dial and dial ring condition as the lacquer can deteriorate and is subject to caveman damage.

It would be nice to see how yours turn out:93:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I have one or more :57:and I love 'em all.

Many of them have been rescued by Mike.:bowing:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you Mike, in fact I've noticed that these overall tend to be in better conditon that the stuff I normally buy. I'm not sure if the acrylic crystals scratching on them make people take them off their wrist more quickly (more cosmetic damage = less wrist time) or if they are just really well made. The majority of them I have seen/laid hands on have beautiful dials and hands under the mangled crystals (and aren't those hands thick!). And then some are just ruined of course. Parts wise, again, they are available (thank you Stefan) and the movements are super easy to work on.

The crystals themselves seem to be the major stumbling block so far. You can't polish out a crack. But, I am going to try filling some and see what happens.

For me, the plethora of interesting dials and case designs are what hooked me. And some of the dials are just GORGEOUS. I just ordered one with an orange Seiko 5 badge buried under the scratched crystal. No idea what shape it's going to be in but it sure looks interesting.

I think I'll go put one on my wrist this afternoon.... :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.