The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen that i picked up a nice 8000 project on the trade forum a while back for a good price as no one else seemed to want it (Thanks Steve)

When I received it I was really happy with it and after some thought i decided to go for a rebuild rather than a full restore this way the watch will maintain its character, well it is 42 year old and appears to have had a hard time :'(

So basically, total strip and find the problems, crystal obviously, crystal retaining gasket as the one in this had gone brittle, then degunk the case.

I then found that the nylon ? gasket that the bezel rides on was disintegrating as well, after searching the "world" looking for a new one with out any joy i found a nylon gasket that was a shade to big in my parts box, i cut this to the correct size and spliced it to be a snug fit and that was that problem sorted. What i have noticed the bezel on this one rotates so much smoother than on my other which i bet has a worn nylon seat, learn something every day.

The bezel and insert were IMO very nice so did nothing with them apart from clean but i did need a new bezel spring as the existing one was corroded.

Crown and stem apart from some rust on the stem no problem.

Hands were in poor shape but after a clean and relume look pretty acceptable to me.

The dial has some script fade/missing but cleaned up nice, relume as the old lume was almost falling out due to corrosion but the poor state of it made it a lot easier to remove. Polished the Seiko logo and Hour marker a little and again happy with the result and to be honest with my eye site i can hardly see the imperfections under normal circumstances.

The movement had quite a few problems but in general not bad, parts that needed replacing due to the corrosion were, clutch, barrel, and 3 parts of the key less works (which i just happened to have thanks to a spares movement i received from John W a year back, thanks John saved my project :) )

Total strip down and clean/oil of the movement left quite a residue of dirt in my cleaning jar and lots of tiny shards of glass.

The only other replacements needed before the rebuild was a dial holding ring and a movement retaining ring which were both beyond use.

It has now been on my wrist for the last 8 hours and is within 2 (two) seconds so if it keeps like that i am chuffed.

ps: Hope you like the end result Lee ;)

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
NO ONE ELSE WANTED IT???

:'(

I just wasn't fast enough!

It looks great though - went to a good owner. Nice baby!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Inspirational post...would love to do a similar project with the larger 8110 case. I'm learning a lot from your various projects. Thanks for sharing the knowledge...

Best,

Mike

·
Registered
174 Posts
Remember it, you where fast on that one John... SIMPLY AMAZING the job you did, really enjoy how your work pays of again and again.. Gotta get a tool kit and have ago at a movement someday ;D

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Congratulations! It's very inspiring to see a fabulous vintage watch that would otherwise go to waste, restored so carefully. The result is truly impressive. 8)
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi Kido

That is w/o a Doubt the BEST Salvage work I have ever seen. You have three times now, Brought Hands and INDICES that any other time would have been LOST
to a Very Respectable even Nice Condition.
Know things as I do in your life, I have come to believe that you are the LIVING ,Example of "Necessity is the Mother of all Invention??/" POINT

I see you do things, with what you have to work with, that IMHO Transcends Normality.

You know the Respect and Admiration I have for Three or Four TOP SHELF Watchmakers I /We all Have used and will con't to use, That Could Not, or Would not

"The TIME, effort, needed or the Possibility of Damage being so Great, Never have the RESULTS I see you accomplish.

You are an Amazing Man, and as I have said to you More then Once, you Fill a GREAT NEED The Ability to do for OTHERS in a WORKING Relationship, a Service

that is So needed at PRICES that will Make it Worthwhile for you, and for Others

Once again Doing Favors is a SPIRITUAL Gift we give each other on the SCWF But With so many needs, IMHO it has to MOVE a bit more to

a Working Relationship, This IMHO is Really the Gift, because it becomes Win/Win Income thats needed and services that fall in-between

OUR reg Watchmakers

Just My More then Two Cents but only with Great Care intended,

Great Job

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys and before i jump into bed the all important Lume shot.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Since you have Harry, I think it would be appropriate to name this one William if this watch is older than Harry!! You will have 2 prince Crown Jewel!! ;)

Great job John!!!

Cheers,
Jeremiah

·
Registered
589 Posts
Great work John!! Turned out looking very nice, I love the 8000 case it's just so comfortable to wear..well done, another saved. Clayton

·
Registered
349 Posts
WOW Top Job, John !!!!!

It's great to see those beauties been revived !!!

Kind regards,

Bart Thans

·
Registered
187 Posts
AAARRRGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!!!

Wheres that head banging smilie I requested :'( :'(

You just had to unveil that after the thrashing we got yesterday !

Wear it in good health (he says through gritted teeth)

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Let's see Tiger, did you practice on that poor 6105 before or after reviving my -8119 from "Blood Dremel Castle?" :D :D :D
BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi John
Another amazing resurrection! Your ability to bring 'em back from the grave is awe inspiring. I just know that she will give you more joy, because of what you put into it.
Well done...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts