The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Could anyone offer their opinion on Hamilton Khaki series compares to SNK809?

I know the Seiko is king in bang-for-buck territory and the movement should be much more reliable.

The main drawback with the Hamilton for me is the poor lume you get with a product that is 4x as expensive as the SNK.

Or is this all pointless as I will inevitably end up getting both anyway?
Please help me make up my mind

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had 2 Hamilton chrono's from the mid 90's. The cases were made in China with Valjoux 7750 movements. Great looking watches with nice dials and finishes. I'm not sure if the Khaki is cased in China...
I only wore the reverse panda one and ended up selling them both last year with zero regrets.

I bought a SKN809 for the purpose of modding with a SKX dark blue dial and different hands that I wear a lot. It glows at night enough to read by! It's not too thick and was inexpensive compared to a Hamilton, plus it can be easily modded! I had thought about the Khaki as well but didn't think the bang for buck was worth it. They are nice looking though with a great history.

Kinda depends on your watch budget.

My two cents...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi! Could anyone offer their opinion on Hamilton Khaki series compares to SNK809?

I know the Seiko is king in bang-for-buck territory and the movement should be much more reliable.

The main drawback with the Hamilton for me is the poor lume you get with a product that is 4x as expensive as the SNK.

Or is this all pointless as I will inevitably end up getting both anyway?
Please help me make up my mind
You are probably looking at this the wrong way round if lume is your preoccupation.

The SNK809 has Seiko's cheapest movement the 7s26 which neither hand winds or hacks and IME is not particularly accurate.

Conversely the more expensive Hamilton has an ETA 2824-2 which is a higher beat movement that both hacks and hand winds. It is used in more expensive watches.

I would look at the engine of the watch primarily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seiko is a more prominent brand and certainly earns its reputation as one of the best timepiece manufacturers in the world.

·
Poet Laureate
807 Posts
Those Hamiltons are really nice. For $400 you get one beautiful well-speced watch. The design is great. The movement looks beautiful under the exhibition caseback.
I'm a Seiko collector, so it pains me to admit this but I think the Hamilton is a much better watch than anything Seiko sells at that price (or below, like the snk)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I’m a fan of the Khaki series. I have the 2824 and hope to purchase a khaki Chrono and an X-wind. I also have the samurai, which IMO, has a similar movement. This is my fourth Hamilton and I’m overall pleased.
Both these watches hack, have the date, good power reserve, keep good time, have a solid bracelet. The bright lume on the Seiko and the price are the difference, for me. Also depending on how you feel about crystals, the Hamilton is Sapphire and the Samurai is not.
With all this, I say buy both! Lol Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts