The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I went to pack up a couple of things today and when I went for my packing paper, a little ziploc baggie fellow out full of a bracelet in pieces. When re-assembled, I had my self the following very nice bracelet (please forgive the phone photos):

The links have an alternating polished and diagonal brushed pattern.

Buckle is unsigned on both sides, but says 18/8 stainless steel on the underside.

And the curved end links are permanently affixed to the bracelet.

At first, I got very very excited, because the band looks a lot like the one that came with the Seikomatic Silverwave, and has the same internal springbar design (see Sweephand's wonderful example here). Alas, it isn't the same. But I think it's fairly likely that it's off a late 60's dress Seiko - explaining how it originally got to me, even if in shambles - and feel like I've seen the design on something before. I'd be eternally grateful if any sleuther out there can identify what it came off of so that I can hopefully give it a home!

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
It's an interesting bracelet especially the texture on the center links. I don't ever recall seeing that on a Seiko bracelet and without the Seiko inscription on the clasp I have to wonder if it is a Seiko bracelet.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
The fact that it says 18/8 stainless - hints to me that it's possibly an American made bracelet??

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!

Bingo.

Check for manufacturer inscription somewhere on end links or inside the clasp.
Interesting. I'll admit I have no idea what 18/8 indicates. As far as I can tell the bracelet is totally without any other inscriptions... clasp or end links. I thought it might still be Seiko because that's really all I collect, and several other early-mid 60's Seikos I have are on similar bands I know to be original (my Sportsmatic Silverwave, 5719, and several Seikomatics come to mind). Though I suppose it could've come with a lot of stuff.

On a minor point of order, it's probably worth pointing out that that is not Sweephand's wonderful example, but mine (all mine, I tell you!) :)

Martin

http://www.thewatchsite.com//uk.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/
Apologies, Martin! Mixing up my useful watch blogs. But seriously, thank you for yours - it's always so wonderfully informative.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
18/8 is an American way of describing the stainless steel grade that contains 18% chrome and 8% nickel content, also known as 304 stainless and A2 stainless.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
18/8 is an American way of describing the stainless steel grade that contains 18% chrome and 8% nickel content, also known as 304 stainless and A2 stainless.
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of clue I figured someone more knowledgeable than me would piece together...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Similar to what in classified to .......... A - Manel and K- Manel.
Each one has a ......... " Hardness Clasifiaction "
that is used to make things. As stated like ....... " A 2 ".
18/8 ... / 304 stainless / A2 .
It classifies ..... " Hardness in mixtures " used to develop
different qualities also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts