The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My watchmaker just sent me these pictures and said he will put it in today's mail. Let the productivity killing waiting for and then the obsession with the tracking number begin...

I found a posting where a guy showed how he took a NE15B and worked in the day of the week wheel into the mix. I have seen a few other examples on this forum before. I forwarded it to Jay at MCWW and he gave it a shot.

Getting the day of the week to work is darn cool in my opinion. I apparently obsess on the trivial and immaterial at times. Oh well!:eek:hmy:

One final mod I am considering on this watch is to get the engraved bezel insert white numbers and minutes lumed to match the lume on the dial. What do you think?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
love the crown...please tell me more...i have thought alot about doing this myself...love the bezel idea too...great thinking...and details is what makes these great watches even better...these are the little things Seiko should have done all along

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
love the crown...please tell me more...i have thought alot about doing this myself...love the bezel idea too...great thinking...and details is what makes these great watches even better...these are the little things Seiko should have done all along
I got the crown from Rob Van Herpt and it is from a skx cased Alpinist that is no longer in production. I wish I had one of those Alpinist - the bezel has some potential which I have not seen used on a modded watch yet. However, I would be hesitant to tear it apart.

I bought the crown at least 4 years ago I think. He may still be selling them.

The NE15B movement came from a local watchmaker. Long story. He got irritated because he thought I wanted him to do the work but all I wanted him to do was source the movement. Let's just say I left with the movement but the conversation was not pretty. I think he got it from Star Time Supply.

I am puzzled why is is so hard to get that thing. We should figure out how to do a group buy or something. I am looking for two more NE15B movements for two final skx projects.

I think Rob Van Herpt has sold the 6r15 movement at times but I have not been able to get that to work, either my timing is off or whatever. He's a great guy to deal with however, so this is not a diss.

I have had those parts in a drawer for a while...

The bezel insert is a recent purchase from Yobokies. I popped the pip, which I think really improved the insert, and the white you see is fill -Jay will lume it to match the dial lume.

Here's where I got the idea:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/20-mod-restoration-reviews-how-i-modded-restored-my-watch/81962-mw70s-ultimate-skx007.html

I have seen another one which is really clean by Bill Yao. Starts with a Sumo case and goes from there. Trumps mine I would say -

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-sumo-modded-bead-blasted-mkii-dial-704888-3.html

Finally there was one where the guy who cut the date window open to include the day of the week and he put a really clean border on it lifted from a Seiko 5 I think. Can't find link. There are also a a fair number of NE15B movements adapted into an skx case without of the day of the week complication posted around by various people including a pmmm I did which I have posted too many times.

All I can say to that is that much more of this kind of stuff is going to have to wait 20 years until I retire and work on building up some of my own watchmaking skills, if I still have the interest, steady hands, and eyesight to do it.:D

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
well you have great taste...i really like both of your inspirations...can't wait to see how it turns out

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I like the SKX011 a lot and had mine converted to a TST. It never used to bother me but after using auto/manual winding watches for a spell the auto only 7S26 bugs me. I was considering swapping the movement for a 4R36 as used in the new monsters etc. Also a Dagaz Superdome kit may be on the cards, probably will keep the gold hands and see what they look like.

Ironically imo the ultimate SKX is an SARB059 Alpinist, not to everyones taste but it made me sell off all my SKX/6309 diver mods except for the SKX011-TST and 6309-7040 Seamaster.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just as an aside, I've found Invictas that have the SII branded NE15 movements in them on eBay fairly regularly. Sometimes they even sell for ~$30-40.
I know the NE15 movement is in some Invictas, but I seem to be able to only find NH25 and NH35 based Invictas in the lower price range. If you ever see one with a NE15 movement and could pm me, I'd be eternally grateful!

From Polly C-
I like the SKX011 a lot and had mine converted to a TST. It never used to bother me but after using auto/manual winding watches for a spell the auto only 7S26 bugs me. I was considering swapping the movement for a 4R36 as used in the new monsters etc.

Sounds nice. Post a pict if you have time.

Has anyone put a 4R36 into an skx case? I have some vague recollection reading about that but it was not a slam dunk. I'd be interested in how it was done if someone has. I am a modder whose watchmakers bench is a paypal account so please be remedial in your explanation!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
This is my SKX011-TST, sure folks must have seen it on a WRUW.

The 4R36 is a direct swap for the 7S26 (I have done it with MK1 and Mk2 Stargates) but the stems are different. There was a little discussion on WS about this swap and apparently you can buy an AM 7S26 crown/stem assembly and screw in a 4R36 stem to the crown.

Could be a viable project as Cousins have the 4R36 and stems for about £50 plus the VAT and the AM crown/stems are £9 delivered.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The 4R36 is a direct swap for the 7S26 (I have done it with MK1 and Mk2 Stargates) but the stems are different. There was a little discussion on WS about this swap and apparently you can buy an AM 7S26 crown/stem assembly and screw in a 4R36 stem to the crown.

Could be a viable project as Cousins have the 4R36 and stems for about £50 plus the VAT and the AM crown/stems are £9 delivered.
Thanks for the info. I will start looking into that as an option for a future skx cased project I am considering. I have a 4R36 movement watch in my safe at the moment that may be willing to offer itself up :)

Great looking watch. Perhaps I will step up for the TST treatment someday.

Tiger - If you could get some skx friendly crowns with an S on them that would be great.

If you could make some skx friendly crowns with an S on them that were triple seal - that would be total greatness... Not sure which movement compatibility would be the most desired.

I have one triple seal crown from Randall on one of my modded skx's which is very nice but the crown itself is a little smallish in diameter in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts