The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in a South coast seaside town ( Lyme Regis ) for a weeks break with the family and I spot a Arnie on the wrist of a old bloke , the wife sees me looking and gives me 'that look' and scurrys away dragging the kids with her to avoid the embarrassment of the inevitable conversation. :p

I engage the fellow in polite weather related chat then casually mention his nice watch , turns out he bought it new in 84 or 85 and it's never missed a beat, but the interesting ( for me anyway, the wife fell asleep when I was telling her ) thing was he used to be a technical designer in the 70s and 80s for Porsche Design and IWC..... He had the option during this time to buy any of their products half price but didn't really like any of them and didn't go in for 'brand snobbery' so bought the Seiko... He said it was technically very challenging doing watches... What does a Technical designer do as apposed to a regular designer anyway?
I would have loved to talk to him further but I think he was busy or a fitness fan as he was backing away trying various doorknobs behind him before running down a alleyway... ( I may have made the last bit up a bit but it was clear he wasn't interested in talking much more )

·
Administrator
30,119 Posts
So, I'm in a South coast seaside town ( Lyme Regis ) for a weeks break with the family and I spot a Arnie on the wrist of a old bloke , the wife sees me looking and gives me 'that look' and scurrys away dragging the kids with her to avoid the embarrassment of the inevitable conversation. :p

I engage the fellow in polite weather related chat then casually mention his nice watch , turns out he bought it new in 84 or 85 and it's never missed a beat, but the interesting ( for me anyway, the wife fell asleep when I was telling her ) thing was he used to be a technical designer in the 70s and 80s for Porsche Design and IWC..... He had the option during this time to buy any of their products half price but didn't really like any of them and didn't go in for 'brand snobbery' so bought the Seiko... He said it was technically very challenging doing watches... What does a Technical designer do as apposed to a regular designer anyway?
I would have loved to talk to him further but I think he was busy or a fitness fan as he was backing away trying various doorknobs behind him before running down a alleyway... ( I may have made the last bit up a bit but it was clear he wasn't interested in talking much more )
After 45 years of marriage "that look" still scares me to death and i get the look quite often :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
What does a Technical designer do as apposed to a regular designer anyway?
I guess the technical designer's job is to adapt the designer's will to real life constraints. A bit like when you see the difference between the drawings, the concept cars and the final car as it will be produced. Big gap !

Anyway in my opinion everybody should have an Arnie !

·
Registered
240 Posts
How about a H558 with a polished shroud

Here! Here!
Seiko H558s for all.
And they should always have an option to upgrade to a Stainless Steel 316L shroud.
DLC black or the NEW Polished option.
(had to plug)

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
It always makes me laugh when you see a nice old Seiko 'in the wild'. The few times I've struck up conversations the owners have invariably been unaware of the value of their now collectable watch.

·
Administrator
30,119 Posts
I have never had anyone "recognize" the Seiko i have been wearing but I have had quite a few comment on the nice Rolex I have been wearing and then lose interest as soon as I say its not a Rolex it's a Seiko :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Mannu, it's been ok, bit changeable but when the suns out its glorious, when it's not, well, we're not going to let that spoil it.......

·
Registered
385 Posts
To this day I have never had any luck spotting a vintage Seiko ( 7S23 yes and modern takes, also vintages omegas ) or being spotted myself

I sorted out a C515 calc for my friend and he gets asked all the time!

Grrr.
No one talks to me neither. I don't know why, even when I put a nice sweater the other day while going to the park...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts